Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:09:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Stranger Wore a Gun (1953)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stranger Wore a Gun (1953)  (Read 2465 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »

The worst of the De Toth westerns I've seen. Has a good cast, Randolph Scott stars with Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine playing supporting baddies. While the plot lacks logic in many instances, you can chalk this up as another Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars precursors, although feels unworthy of the term. This was supposedly shot in 3-D (the print doesn't have the color trails), so there are some awkawrd edits due to the supposed audience interactions - ie a chair thrown towards the screen. There is a good fistfight between Borgie and Scott but the amateur editing weighs it down considerably. The last scene certainly could be seen as illogical but it's pretty memorable.TSWAG contains the usual sub-par hollywood score. 5 (maybe a very generous 6 b/c I like De Toth)/10.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »

This is interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM35fEcHYwI&feature=related

Were they trying to induce people to watch it just by trusting Scott's word?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:01 AM »

I was dead tired while watching it and almost fell asleep, but I don't think it's that bad. I don't think they were trying to fool anyone, this movie has no detectable false pretenses, this is a fairly typical weekend afternoon W, nothing more nothing less. Good cast, passable direction, pretty weak story but with a few solid jokes (''the 13th John Smith in this building'' comes to mind). The only thing that doesn't fit anywhere is the title: ''The Stranger Wore a Gun'' ? What kind of a title is that anyway, and besides, the stranger actually didn't wear a gun until the Mexican gave it to him, if I'm not mistaken. So, yeah, this stuff is mostly for the fans of the director or the actors, otherwise you can skip it without remorse, or actually watch it, as it isn't (despite being cliched) completely devoid of entertaining moments.

(pushing for a) 6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »

While the plot lacks logic in many instances, you can chalk this up as another Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars precursors, although feels unworthy of the term.

My thoughts exactly.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:16:38 AM »

This is interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM35fEcHYwI&feature=related

Were they trying to induce people to watch it just by trusting Scott's word?

lol, was this really the official trailer of the movie?

Two words: in-sane.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:14 AM »

just saw it on TCM. pretty much agree with the comments here. a decent watch one time, then you move on and never think about it again.

I'll be less generous that some of you here and give it a 5.5/10  Wink

The sets look really fake. Only set I liked was the riverboat

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:04:41 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM