Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 09:41:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Waxwork (1988)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waxwork (1988)  (Read 2411 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »

An odd reworking of House Of Wax (or perhaps the Wax Museum segment from The House That Dripped Blood). Thought it would fall flat but it has some hambone charm that keeps things interesting, at least until the very goofy final minutes.
Wealthy slacker college student Mark, his new girlfriend Sarah, and their friends are invited to a special showing at a mysterious wax museum which displays 18 of the most evil men of all time. After his ex-girlfriend and another friend disapear, Mark becomes suspicous. What he doesn't know is that they have been made a part of the exhibit, by first living out the scene and then being murdered in it.
While some effects look dirt cheap (the Museum exploding at the end is an obvious model) you can tell some money was thrown into this because there are some huge and well detailed sets.
The Vampire castle is one of the scenes that shows off the big budget.
A lot of the exhibits are shown in there inanimate wax form so we never get to see what happens in that "realm", which is a shame because I would have rather seen the Invisible Man exihibit as opposed to the Marquis De Sade one.

The direct to video sequel (Waxwork 2: Lost in Time) has its moments but relies too much on comedy and delivers no scares.

Both movies can be seen on OnDemand.

7/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »

The uncut version has a lot more gore. The vampire sequence was REAL bloody. I don't see the connection to this, a movie about a magical museum whose macabre exhibits come to deadly life, and HOUSE OF WAX with Price. If you wanna see an awesome reworking of HOUSE OF WAX, you should check out the great Euro Gothic horror of MILL OF STONE WOMEN (1960). There's a bit of EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959) thrown in there, too. Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »

I don't see the connection to this, a movie about a magical museum whose macabre exhibits come to deadly life, and HOUSE OF WAX with Price.

Well, I think any horror movie that's based in and around a Wax Museum share a similarity to the Price original which was also a remake.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:45 PM »

Well, I think any horror movie that's based in and around a Wax Museum share a similarity to the Price original which was also a remake.

I totally forgot one!!! If WAXWORK has ANYTHING in common with ANY flick, it's the 1963 lucha libre Mexi-horror picture, SAMSON IN THE WAX MUSEUM aka SANTO EN EL MUSEO DE CERA. In that one, masked wrestler/crimefighter El Santo goes up against an evil mad doctor who turns kidnap victims into waxen creatures that come to murderous life. If I remember right, there's a werewolf, zombie/mummy, vampire and other assorted creatures. I don't remember it being as good as SAMSON VS. THE VAMPIRE WOMEN, but it comes close.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »

I stand corrected!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »

A lot of the exhibits are shown in there inanimate wax form so we never get to see what happens in that "realm", which is a shame because I would have rather seen the Invisible Man exihibit as opposed to the Marquis De Sade one.
Yeah, but then they wouldn't have been able to throw in a bit of kink, which seemed to be a big point of the film.

Saw this back in the day, and then forgot about it until I saw this thread. Could that be because . . .  the film is totally forgettable?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »

Saw this back in the day, and then forgot about it until I saw this thread. Could that be because . . .  the film is totally forgettable?

A lot of people don't seem to think so as it has acquired a rather large cult following over the years.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »

It didn't do anything for me, but it obviously garnered some attention since it got an even more genre aware sequel. Speaking of the sequel, I rather enjoyed the Godzilla and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD homages.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »

I rather enjoyed the Godzilla and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD homages.

I like that too but it was all saved for the climax of the movie.
The Haunted House segment with Bruce Campbell is good too.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

I like that too but it was all saved for the climax of the movie.
The Haunted House segment with Bruce Campbell is good too.

Those are the only two parts about it that I remember; that and Zack Gallaghan being in the film. The director did some serviceable horror pictures although none were of the caliber of his dad's THEATER OF BLOOD (1973).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »

I know Waxwork is often considered a fans' favorite of those silly 80s horrors, but I watched it once a long time ago and can't remember a single thing from it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM