Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 08:04:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Convoy (1978)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Convoy (1978)  (Read 10452 times)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »

Convoy - 7.5/10

Better than I thought. Funny and full with cool charakters. But a really tragic ending would be more "Sam-ish".

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077369/

A disappointing road movie from Sam Peckinpah: overlong, undetermined and very cheesy. I don't know what went wrong in the process but looks like Sam Peckinpah alone wasn't sure what he was making, like they were re-writing it during the filming process, or something in that style. The part with the politician (played by Seymour Cassel) is one bum filling, lemme tell ya... Boring and far from the definition of a (good) Sam Peckinpah movie.

3/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »

Addendum:

The little duck car sign on Stuntman Mike's car (from Tarantino's Death Proof) is obviously an homage to Rubber Duck's truck (from Covoy). It's the same sign, I didn't know it because this is the first time I've seen this movie.

1) From Convoy:

2) From Death Proof:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:06:31 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

The little duck car sign on Stuntman Mike's car

We call that in these here parts a "hood ornament"  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

We call that in these here parts a "hood ornament"  Afro

Smiley

Couldn't find on the net what's it called while I was writing that...

Nah, I'm lying, I was just lazy to look it up. Embarrassed

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:33:54 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:17:19 AM »

The film was heavily recut before it premiered. Peckinpah forbid EMI to put his name above the title.

But even his cut would not have been one of his best of course. It came to him when he finished CROSS OF IRON,
a co-production with EMI.
CONVOY marked his ultimate downfall. Although he drank a lot, he brought in CROSS OF IRON just fine (for those
who get it it's a great film) but back in the US months later he was heavily back on cocaine. His erratic bevaviour
hurt the film, the production and let to his second 'black listing' later 1964.
He never really recovered, made OSTERMAN in 1982/83 and passed away Dec. 28th 1984.

CONVOY has a huge cult following (Trucks rebuilt, own websites..).
My feelings are 50/50: Bad - see above facts. Good - it was my first Sam-film. I was 11 (it was rated 16 in Germany)
and happy to see it. Very impressive in 1978 on the big screen! And of all those 70's road-action movies it's among
the best. Then again, not the best sub-genre...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:09 AM »

Thanks for the info! Afro

For what it's worth: it's still a masterpiece compared to the horracious The Osterman Weekend.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 03:33:35 AM »

Well, Peckinpah experts will disagree. OSTERMAN has some interesting aspects, like the BIG BROTHER theme
which became so 'successful' with shitty TV during the last ten years. Interesting vision for 1982.
(I don't like it much anyway. It was the first film Peckinpah shot in LA in 20 years. He was better shooting
his films far away from Tinseltown Smiley)

Convoy is what it is: It had some ambition regarding the truckers legend and Sam's WILD BUNCH themes.
But it's just to thin for that and the re-cutting hurt even more.
So I tend to take it for the fun (a lot) and the action (fantastic). There were some accidents and close calls
for the stunt guys. Visually the film holds up pretty well after 30 years!

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »

The Osterman Weekend wasn't terrible, it was at least entertaining in a dumb way.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »

I forgot to add ''IMHO'' in my previous post. I know there are people that like TOW, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. Tried watching it a couple of times during the years and it was just... tough. Smiley

But I agree most of the action scenes in C were done professionally.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »

Convoy - Huh/10 - How the hell did Sam Peckinpah get roped into this flick? Even at its best moments it's a bad self-parody, with lots of slow-motion, faux-Peckinpah flourishes (quick-cutting, children watching violence, Shall We Gather at the F-ing River?) and mind-bendingly bad dialogue. And yet it has a bizarre charm to it. It's a bad movie, no doubt, but it's too goofy and unintentionally funny for me to really hate - although it gets unaccountably self-important in the second half. Plus Peckinpah has a really funny sore-thumb cameo. At the very least it's more entertaining than The Killer Elite, whose camp value is limited to the random ninjas.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

BD coming out in the UK and Germany in a couple of weeks including another "Passion & Poetry" installment which with a 70min runtime should be a good one (thanks Mike  Afro)

Interesting interview with Peckinpah about Convoy here:

http://videos.arte.tv/de/videos/convoy_im_gespraech_mit_regisseur_sam_peckinpah_englisch_--4189084.html

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »

Well, Convoy was always a winner for me. It's Wild Bunch light, but for that in it's "lightheartedness" a fitting end to the themes Peckinpah had explored in the previous 10 years. Filled with lots of stunning scenes and a few slightly stupid ones too. Don't know why it gets bashed so often when terribly directed films like Where Eagles Dare, which is not only idiotic but also very boring, gets more praise than rejection. 8/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

A very far cry from Peckinpah's best, but it has its moments and is certainly entertaining

Don't know why it gets bashed so often when terribly directed films like Where Eagles Dare, which is not only idiotic but also very boring, gets more praise than rejection.

That's my third favorite war movie after Cross of Iron and The Great Escape.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:39:59 PM by Novecento » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:18 AM »

A very far cry from Peckinpah's best, but it has its moments and is certainly entertaining

Not that far imo. It has all his typical themes, and it is very well directed. With some brilliant scenes.

That's my third favorite war movie after Cross of Iron and The Great Escape.

Where Eagels Dare and The Great Escape are not really war films. They are set in the war, but one is a spy thriller (without any thrill) and the other one a ..., well, a prison-break film. I don't like The Great Escape (6/10) that much either. Convoy is also much, much better made than this one.
But it is another good example to compare. The Great Escape is also very lighthearted with silly humour and funny characters all along the way. But today it is not blamed anymore for using the war as a background for simple entertainment. It seems that Convoy is mostly blamed for being a Peckinpah film in a lighter mood. Made by a lesser director and by that getting rid of higher expectations I'm somehow sure it would be welcomed much friendlier.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:05:09 AM by stanton » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM