Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:45:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blazing Saddles (1974)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blazing Saddles (1974)  (Read 4993 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »

Mel Brooks best thing is still, in my opinion, Get Smart. He can't sustain more than a 20-30 minutes show, otherwise he'd rank with the great ones. This is probably his best thing in cinema, with notable pieces (expecially Kahn's song I'm Tired and Basie's cameo). Of course the farts, the up yours nigger and some other jokes. But that can't make a movie, I find his movies too unbalanced. I'm gonna watch some again and be back on the subject. 7\10

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

I think this is his best movie he ever did with YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1 close behind it. I can't believe there are people out (in upwards of 40 years old!) who have NEVER even heard of BLAZING SADDLES. A lot of Brooks' jokes cater to old Hollywood style humor and will be lost even to Americans unfamiliar with vaudevillian style comedic wordplay.

I really enjoyed the way the film pokes fun at itself letting the audience know they're only watching a movie, especially towards the end with the melding of the 'Old West' and the 'modern setting'. Also, with all the racial slurs, Brooks' film truly makes white people out to be incredibly stupid save for the Wilder character in what I suppose would be his comedic way of saying all racism is stupid. BLAZING SADDLES is just one long Warner Brothers cartoon brought to life and I frequently watch it every now and again. The special edition dvd even had the pilot episode of the proposed series, BLACK BART with Louis Gossett Jr. in the Cleavon Little role.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

I agree with both of your assessments BS, YF, then HOTWP1.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »

I agree with both of your assessments BS, YF, then HOTWP1.  Afro

Cool. At least we agree on a couple of things, Joe. Afro Some of his other movies were just okay to me and his later stuff in the 80's and 90's I find unbalanced as Titoli said. However, I do have LIFE STINKS which I haven't watched yet. Some friends of mine in NY were really pushing for me to see it when I was there a few trips back saying it was one of the funniest things he ever did. Might open it up this weekend and check it out.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »

I saw Blazing Saddles in theater when it first was released, cracked up at the title song, a parody of some American western title songs of the 1950s, very clever.  And laughed throughout, good show.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:08 PM »

Don't forget the influence of Richard Pryor on the writing process.  "Pardon me while I whip this out."  Thats gotta be a Pryor line.  The racial humor is at times rather poignant, equal amount laughter and tears.  The ending is perfect; the old West is dead and should probably be left that way (even in the movies by 1974).  As for Young Frankenstein, its not as funny as Blazing Saddles and has some slow parts.  But the apparent love for old b&w horror classics and the "putting on the ritz" dance number more than makes up for all that.   Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
The Spanish Inquisition segment being the best bit of all and contender for one of the best musical numbers in any movie.
The water ballet with the nuns is a little drawn out though.

I remember Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein as being inconsistent.
I was rewarded with some hardy laughs in many scenes but there is a lot of dead spots in there.

I don't remember too much of High Anxiety except for the good theme song.

Spaceballs was really funny when I was a kid but not so much now for whatever reason.

Never seen his very early stuff like The Producers and 12 chairs.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
The Spanish Inquisition segment being the best bit of all and contender for one of the best musical numbers in any movie.
The water ballet with the nuns is a little drawn out though.

I remember Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein as being inconsistent.
I was rewarded with some hardy laughs in many scenes but there is a lot of dead spots in there.

I feel opposite on this. BLAZING SADDLES was perfection. HISTORY was inconsistent to me, but was funny enough the "dead spots" didn't hinder my enjoyment. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was good, but not as funny as a lot of people make it out to be. It has gorgeous cinematography which aids in its enjoyment. Great movie, just not up to par with BLAZING SADDLES, IMO. I'm still waiting on JEWS IN SPACE.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »

Oh yea I forgot about The Producers now I'd have to say that this is the best one followed by BS, YF, then HOTWP1. Check it out Gene Wilder & Zero Mostel are hilarious, and its pretty consistent.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »

I'm still waiting on JEWS IN SPACE.

From Wilipedia:
Jay Apt, U.S.A.
Ellen Baker, U.S.A.
Jeffrey A. Hoffman, U.S.A.
Scott Horowitz, U.S.A. - Horowitz was the first Jew to command a space mission.
Ilan Ramon, Israel
Judy Resnik, U.S.A.
David Wolf, U.S.A.
Garrett Reisman, U.S.A. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1059409.html
Greg Chamitoff, U.S.A.
Marty Fettman, U.S.A.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »

Oh yea I forgot about The Producers now I'd have to say that this is the best one followed by BS, YF, then HOTWP1. Check it out Gene Wilder & Zero Mostel are hilarious, and its pretty consistent.

Sorry but I don't care for the Producers, some scenes take forever.  Though Springtime for Hitler is an inspired idea and Wilder/Mostel do work great together.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »

The play is really good so I hear. I don't remember much about the movie, though. Saw it years ago on HBO as a kid.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

From Wilipedia:
Jay Apt, U.S.A.
Ellen Baker, U.S.A.
Jeffrey A. Hoffman, U.S.A.
Scott Horowitz, U.S.A. - Horowitz was the first Jew to command a space mission.
Ilan Ramon, Israel
Judy Resnik, U.S.A.
David Wolf, U.S.A.
Garrett Reisman, U.S.A. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1059409.html
Greg Chamitoff, U.S.A.
Marty Fettman, U.S.A.

Not quite the JEWS IN SPACE I was thinking of, but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jLnrUXJNM

Guess this foreshadows the coming of SPACEBALLS.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »

Not my thing, Blazing Saddles. I admit I never saw it as a kid, so that could be the missing factor. I found the middle act boring and empty, the third is the best while the first one is watchable but nothing special. But like I said, I probably missed my chance as a kid.

6.45/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM