Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 08:39:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ed Wood (1994)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed Wood (1994)  (Read 5488 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Bizarre just as the late Edward Davis Wood Jr. deserves, this just might be Tim Burton's best movie (so far). I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it kinda grew on me with time. It's a strange mix of everything, from drama to parody. The script is far from original, but Johnny Depp and especially Martin Landau endorse it offering magnificent performances. Great.

8.3/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »

Agreed. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

I liked it from the first time I watched it and I am under the belief that it is Burton's best.
One of the best films from the 90's for me.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:24:43 AM »

Burton's best, by far (which is not a great achievement).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »

This is Burton's best, but besides Pee Wee, there are no other worthy contenders for this spot. This is one of the best movies of 90s, for sure.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »

OK now, I said it is very probably his best movie, but you're making it sound like he's Uwe Boll or something. Let's not try to be too smart here, I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but trying to deny the fact that he made a couple of good (albeit weird) movies in the past 20 years is just nonsense.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:41:39 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

This is most-def my favorite Burton movie. Edward Scissorhands is also fuckin great but still not really comparable to Ed Wood in quality

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

OK now, I said it is very probably his best movie, but you're making it sound like he's Uwe Boll or something. Let's not try to be too smart here, I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but trying to deny the fact that he made a couple of good (albeit weird) movies in the past 20 years is just nonsense.

Not really. TB hasn't made anything close the quality of those two movies. That doesn't mean he's hack or anything.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

Not really. TB hasn't made anything close the quality of those two movies. That doesn't mean he's hack or anything.

That is true, but from the tone of your posts it sounded to me like you were saying he didn't do a good movie besides Ed Wood at all. I'm not his biggest fan (as I said already), but most of his movies are not bad. Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Corpse Bride, Beetle Juice... These are all movies I can watch from time to time, and that gravitate around a 7/10 rating in my book. Edward Scissorhands is not great as Ed Wood (nor a favorite of mine, to be honest), but it's still very good, and his Batman is IMO the best Batman adaptation so far, way better than this pompous shit that has been coming out of Hollywood's asshole for the last few years. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street I have yet to watch, Batman Returns is mediocre, and Mars Attacks! I can not stand.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:29:53 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »

Yeah, I enjoy some of his other work, mainly ES and Beetlejuice but I don't think those two compare to Pee Wee, let alone, Ed Wood. Big Fish is much better than 90% of the oscar grabbers of the last 20 years or so, but that's not really saying a whole lot - not to me, anyway. Batman was the perfect blend of noir inspired visuals and camp, but not anything I'd deem great. I'm not crazy about superhero movies.

I haven't seen Mar Attacks in a very long time but I can see myself enjoying that one. I can't remember if I saw Sleepy Hollow in the theaters or caught bits on tv, but I didn't dig it. I haven't bothered with any of the remakes.

I respect TB quite a bit and meant no disrespect by my original comment, it was more in praise of Ed Wood (and Pee Wee, to a lesser degree).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 04:18:12 AM »

All of his movies that i have seen have a stupid predictable plot, no characters (appart, from time to time, from the main character, who can be interesting), a terrible filmmaking. I still watch his movies because in most case they're not terrible: he's just more of an art director than anything else.
And could please send the guy a real editor? That would definitly help.

I know i sound like a doutchbag here, and i don't want to be aggressive with any of you, but i'm just tired of hearing everyone praising a guy who should never have the opportunity to make a whole movie by himself... he's one of the greatest art director ever, he's not a filmmaker.

Ed Wood is the only thing he did that doesn't fit with what i just wrote.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »

It would be easier if you'd just point out who's praising him inhere.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:33:53 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »

No one. But you're taking his defense. Hence I attack you.

www.ThibautOskian.com
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:37 PM »

i wonder how many viewers take the ending literally ( his film getting a standing ovation from a packed house)?
I bet the majority do .

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 12:26:43 PM »

I take it ironically, as I do the whole film. The beauty of the work, thanks largely to the writing team, is that it perfectly apes the conventions of standard Hollywood bio pics while sending the whole formula up. Ed Wood's is the greatest success story in the history of cinema. Wink

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM