Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 08:35:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Did Angel Eyes foolishly walk to his doom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Angel Eyes foolishly walk to his doom?  (Read 8040 times)
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »

No, no. He was bad, no question about it, he just wasn't in the same league with those other psychos.

He did have principles though, that is shown in a couple of scenes, including the last shootout.

It sounds like you compare Angeleyes more to Harmonica than Frank or El Indio.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »

Sounds to me I sound to you like one sick fuck, ha? Grin

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:27:12 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

Sounds to me I sound to you like one sick fuck, ha? Grin

Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 07:48:18 AM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »

I don't agree with the first part, and the reason for that is contained in the second part of your post: all the others are basically psychos, maniacs. Sentenza only sees his job through.

Sentenza is also a sadist.
Sadists iare right at home with psychos and maniacs.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »

Tuco was digging up the grave.

That always bothered me.Why would Blondie waste time by having Tuco dig up a grave which he knew wasn't filled with the cash?
My only theory to that is he had a sixth sense and knew AE was watching everything from a distance.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »

He laughed after killing Baker - clearly he's a sadist.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »

That always bothered me.Why would Blondie waste time by having Tuco dig up a grave which he knew wasn't filled with the cash?
My only theory to that is he had a sixth sense and knew AE was watching everything from a distance.

Letting Tuco dig the grave buys Blondie time to see how Tuco will react, especially after he ran off moments earlier - and it shows Blondie's ultimately in control. It also buys him time with Angel Eyes who knows the location of the cemetary and following the logic of the $ trilogy, spefically GBU, he knows he'll be waiting - it's really not too much of a stretch.

To answer the original question AE walks in at the perfect time had it been the grave with the gold. I never had a problem with the logic.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:02:30 PM by tuco benedicto pacifico juan maria ramirez » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »

Why would Blondie waste time by having Tuco dig up a grave which he knew wasn't filled with the cash?

Blondie is a prick and enjoyed watching Tuco dig the wrong grave.  He probably had fun watching Tuco run around the cemetery, too.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »

OK, we're a little offtopic here but since we started...

The term ''sadist'' is used when describing someone who takes pleasure in the emotional or physical pain of someone else. Whether he or she is inflicting it to the subject or just observing is not really relevant for the usage of the term, although it does help distinguish the severity of the pathological disorder. It is logical both someone who's watching and enjoying the torturing and someone who's doing the torturing are in the same group, as they're both very obviously insane, but we'd all agree the latter case is the heavier.

Now, Sentenza killed Baker and enjoyed it, no doubt about it, he topped it with a dirty smile, and he obviously enjoyed the beating of Tuco (as well as all the others who ''had a session in there''), but really, so what? Didn't Blondie leave Tuco for obviously no reason out in the desert to die, and laughed at him sadistically? Seems to me that's OK with you guys just because he's the ''good guy'', lol. Wallach's performance makes it somewhat comical to watch, but if you think better, leaving someone without a horse or water alone in the desert, miles and miles from nowhere, with his hands tied up, is far worse than shooting someone in the head. That is sadism, enjoying in the suffering of someone else. Not to mention Tuco was his ''friend'', partner. Sentenza didn't kill anyone he was working with. And let's not forget him firing the canon at poor Tuco. Some friend, ha?

To that you may say Tuco was no good; he was a rapist, murderer, robber and who knows what else, so who cares what Blondie did to him? But then, why object to Sentenza killing Baker? Because he was old? Pfffff! Didn't Baker pay Sentenza to kill a (now) honest hardworking (married with children) dirt farmer? Where's the difference, I ask you?

To make it more interesting, you could say Blondie ''had soul''; he didn't like the war and so many young men getting killed for a couple of rusty spots on the map, he gave the dying young soldier a cigar. Wow, I'm melting down, what a soul of a man all of a sudden! I also remember Sentenza giving VŪctor Israel's character a jug in the deleted scenes at the Confederate fort. But, of course, we can't take that in consideration, because he's the ''bad guy''.

I never argued about Sentenza being a SOB, at all, but you guys seem far more stupefied than I'd expect by what I said, and it's amazing to me you never cared to dig deeper into the moral ambiguity of the whole thing.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:09:17 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »

Bro, I can see that you're a big Sentenza fan.  I am too, in fact one of the few problems I have with GBU is that there are long sections without him.   Wink

I probably made a mistake comparing Angeleyes to Frank and El Indio, who are complete psychos (especially the latter).  All I was saying is that Sentenza is a very mean hombre and shows little or no compassion throughout the movie.  I never said that Blondie was much better.  To me Blondie isn't a sadist or a maniac, he's just an asshole.  Same thing with Tuco.  I suppose thats the difference between those two and Angeleyes--he's willing to be a little more ruthless to get what he wants.

One last thing--we never see Angeleyes or Blondie do much on their off hours (well Blondie's with a girl in a lost scene).  It makes me wonder how they were going to spend the Confederate gold anyway.  Now Tuco, thats someone I can imagine enjoying the money.   Evil

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »

That seems to be the point of the movie, though - they're fighting over money for the sake of getting money, not because they're planning to do anything with it.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

That seems to be the point of the movie, though - they're fighting over money for the sake of getting money, not because they're planning to do anything with it.

True enough.  Though I still find it funny to think about what Tuco would spend his half on.  I doubt it would last very long.   Grin

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00:03 AM »

Tuco would spend it on his wife and child

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »

Nah, I think Tuco would buy a CD.  Either a 2-year fixed rate or a Morricone CD.

None of them could possibly spend $200K or $100K in those days...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM