Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 05:58:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dead Man (1995)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Man (1995)  (Read 10567 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »

Yes, I feel the same way about some Czech films. Oh, the good old days of black-and-white, when their Czech was so clear and perfectly pronounced! With the exception of Vlasta Burian, but he's great in other things...
Stop, no more off topic. Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »

You shouldn't have problems watching Dead Man; there's not much dialogue, and the English in it is basic.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:22:57 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »

I recently had the opportunity to watch The Limits of Control (I'll elaborate elsewhere), without subtitles and I must say that even though I understood most of the dialogue at times I really missed subtitles.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »

It's just a (bad) habit, trust me. Years ago when I started watching English language movies on DVDs I'd always turn the subtitles on, although I already knew English and I understood 90% of what they were saying, if I didn't turn them on it was like there was something missing, I needed confirmation from the subtitles. So, start gradually with movies that don't use slang and in maybe a month you won't be a subtitle addict anymore.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:06:35 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »

I guess that depends on how much you know of the language... I think now I'm also able to watch English films without subtitles, but I couldn't do that with Finnish yet... and watching a Saami film (Ofelaš) with Norwegian subtitles left me with a lot to desire in my understanding about the characters' intentions and reasons behind their actions!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM