Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:27:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Francesca Leone: Close Ups and Gazes On Canvas
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Francesca Leone: Close Ups and Gazes On Canvas  (Read 8923 times)
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »

I recently found a few articles on Francesca Leone.  She currently has a significant exhibit of her art work (June-July) at the Moscow Museum Of Modern Art called “Beyond Their Gaze”. The exhibit consists of about thirty of her paintings.  Francesca studied painting at the Fine Arts Academy Of Rome.        

The first time I had seen the information was on artdaily.org sometime last week.  I found there were a lot of similar articles with the same written content in numerous places on the web.  It may be old news to some of our friends in Europe.  I think various Italian newspapers may of carried the story about the exhibit frequently and also given coverage to her work in the past.  I thought I would post in case someone on the board hadn’t connected with any of it and had any interest. 

Here is article and link:

MOSCOW.- For the first time in Russia, Moscow Museum of Modern Art opens a personal exhibition of Francesca Leone, the artist whose paintings have a special place in contemporary Italian art. “Beyond Their Gaze” project presents about 30 large-scale paintings notable for the carefulness of the technique, the concentrated consciousness of chromatic transitions, and the extreme refinement of experiences combined with the force of a visual spell.

Francesca Leone was born in Rome into a creative and versatile family: her father Sergio Leone was the outstanding film director who collaborated with Robert De Niro, Clint Eastwood, and Ennio Morricone. Francesca’s mother was a famous ballerina, her grandmother was an actress. Since her birth, Francesca was endowed with a deep, spontaneous emotionality that was reflected in her pictorial works.

At the start of her creative career, Francesca Leone studied and reinterpreted the artistic experience of Futurism: Gino Severini, Umberto Boccioni, Carlo Carra, and Giacomo Balla. Her fascination with Futurism was reflected in the works of the artist – her oeuvre includes energetic compositions where movements of the figures are shown in a dynamic stream of time, where flashing forms, zigzags and oblique lines prevail, where motion is depicted by imposing of consecutive phases in one image (the so-called principle of simultaneity). This artistic principle of “closed dynamics” is reflected in her huge portraits, as if they were piling on the spectator, not holding within the canvas borders.

Despite the obvious narrative and coloristic dramatic nature of her works, Francesca Leone tells the story that is made of thoughts, not of events. The artist has chosen the theme of the picturesque matter formed and transformed in front of the eyes of the spectator. As if the image couldn’t or shouldn’t be provided with a static quality that would have fixed it once and forever. The deep sense of Francesca’s works is concealed in the metamorphoses of the matter symbolizing the conditions of human existence in a labyrinth of a city and an intimacy of a home.

The characters of Francesca Leone’s pictorial works are distinguished by the highest concentration of tension that generates ideas and actions. The theme of the city and loneliness is present in her portraits, heroes, thoughts and actions. Francesca Leone introduces a sensual, emotional measurement in hyperrealism and creates magnificent pictures that can be defined as classical works of the big style – but it is the modern classics, the classics of our time. 

http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=31679

Other articles about the exhibit and her work.
From Moscow Museum Of Modern Art website.  The Moscow International Film Festival was held in June at the time the exhibit started.  This article seems to indicate that the restoration print of Once Upon A Time In The West was shown.  I couldn’t find anything more to confirm that.  I didn’t even see the film listed on the website for the festival.   
http://www.mmoma.ru/en/exhibitions/zurab/beyond_their_gaze/

From artslant.com
http://www.artslant.com/ew/events/show/58485-beyond-their-gaze#

From Art Knowledge News
http://www.artknowledgenews.com/francesca-leone-beyond-their-gaze.html

The exhibit opened on June 25, 2009 at the Moscow Museum Of Modern Art.  There was a ceremony in which Francesca was made an honorary member of the Russian Academy of Arts.  Ennio Morricone attended the opening and ceremony.  Found a site with some tagged pictures.
http://visualrian.com/lists/item/37919

Some pictures of her work found in the articles and by image searches.  In addition to studies of historical figures such as MLK, Malcolm X, Dali Lama and Gandhi, there are paintings of Ennio and Sergio.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »

Really cool. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Cool

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »

Maybe not all of you know that Sergio's daughter Francesca is a gifted painter and her artwork has been exhibited all over the world.
One of her paintings has been auctioned recently on Sept.12th by Christie's South Kensington and was sold for 30.000 GBP (started at 14.000 GBP).
For our british friends, you will be able to see her paintings at the Opera Gallery in Bond Street 134,  London, from Sept. 21 until October 12.
Here are some of her paintings: http://www.operagallery.com/ang/artist/index/fiche/art/523/ and here is the link to an old interview where she talks of course about her father: http://trovacinema.repubblica.it/multimedia/divi/sergio-leone-mio-padre/2100904. Unfortunately (for our english speaking memebers) it's in italian.
She talks also about the fact that as a child, she had a very small part in FFDM and OUATITW
I personally think that she is not only a very talented artist, but also a beautiful woman. What do you guys think???

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:28:42 AM by Leonardo » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »

I personally think that she is not only a very talented artist, but also a beautiful woman.
And rich, too. When can you introduce me?

Meantime, I'll content myself with a new entry in the SL Encyclopedia.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »

And rich, too. When can you introduce me?

Meantime, I'll content myself with a new entry in the SL Encyclopedia.
Smiley Smiley Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

She has a very interesting style. Thanks for sharing Leonardo. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »

Thanks for posting Leonardo  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

One of Leone's daughters is in OUATIA,  playing the girlfriend of Bailey's son. Is that Francesca or Raffaela?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Leonardo
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:39:26 AM »

One of Leone's daughters is in OUATIA,  playing the girlfriend of Bailey's son. Is that Francesca or Raffaela?
That's still Francesca. If you check the interview I have posted, you'll see this scene at 3.06; at 3.33, she talks about a scene which appears only on the small TV screens in Max's office, as can be seen while she talks. She says that even of that scene (she was in that scene as well), which nobody could actually see because the screens were so small, her father shot 25 takes!! That's Sergio's perfectionism for you...

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

I guess visual style runs in the family.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »

just saw this article from 2010 about an exhibit at the Center for Italian Studies at New York University http://www.i-italy.org/13382/omaggio-de-chirico-artists-inspired-master-surrealism-and-metaphysics

The exhibit, honoring the great Italian metaphysical painter Giorgio de Chrico, features some of de Chrico's works, along with the works of 67 artists who were influences by him. One of those is Francesca Leone. of course, her father was very influenced by de Chrico, Frayling says Leone referred to GBU as "de Chrico rides the range" and once owned de Chrico's painting Ariadne (it's currently at the Metpropolitan Museum of Art in New York http://www.watershed.co.uk/dshed/filmic-christopher-frayling-few-guitars-more
 see this vid at 24:24  http://www.watershed.co.uk/dshed/filmic-christopher-frayling-few-guitars-more )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:38 AM »

Too much talent in one family!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:49:51 AM »

I'm not sure why but I see a bit of Rod Steiger in that painting of Sergio.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM