Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:03:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DYS and the OUAT Trilogy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Does DYS work as the middle chapter of the Once Upon a Time trilogy?
Yes
No
Unsure

Author Topic: DYS and the OUAT Trilogy  (Read 7387 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »

I never thought it was a classic trilogy sharing characters or plot, but there's obviously a ethereal yet very ambitious bond between OUATITW, DYS and OUATIA, so I say that it is, or at least I consider it to be, for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:22:32 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »

I never thought it was a classic trilogy sharing characters or plot, but there's obviously a ethereal yet very ambitious bond between OUATITW, DYS and OUATIA, so I say that it is, or at least I consider it to be, for what it's worth.

Yes I agree, and I think Leone viewed it that way too after he had completed the OUAT trilogy. In Simsolo, he says it was only with this trilogy that he really was able to fully display his own style exactly as he wanted. Regardless of any plot connections, there is certainly a very clear division in visual style between the two trilogies.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:35:36 AM »

Some interesting recent observations from a member called The Highweed Kid at SWDB:

Blondie in GBU is already younger than serape-wearing Blondie in Fistful of Dollars or For A Few Dollars More.  GBU was made last, but chronologically, it is the first in the series.

To prove my point:
GBU - Civil War Setting, including 1851 and 1860 revolvers.   

FOD and FOAFDM - 1870s or later setting, Colt 1873 Peacemakers, Winchesters, etc.

In GBU, Blondie wears a duster and a broad brimmed light colored hat through most of the film.  He did not yet own the serape and brown hat and other clothes. He gets his brown hat and vest and other Man With No Name clothes from Angel Eyes, and he gets his serape from the dying soldier.   In GBU, we see how The Man With No Name started out.    I would think that it is obviously chronologically first!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

been there done that  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »

Only broadly relevant but this is Sergio Sollima commenting on his trilogy and how his departure from the Cuchillo role in his second film differed from Leone's approach:

I had worked with Donati before. He was technically very close to my style of writing and imagining a
screenplay. However, in Faccia... his contribution was minor compared to other projects. Faccia.. is really my
child. Tomas was already in my mind when we started creating Faccia. After Resa... he was my fixed choice,
and we always had a very proficient collaboration, in every movie. I knew that Beauregard would be something
completely different from Cuchillo, I took the risk. I don´t know today if I did the right thing by changing
drastically the character typology. Maybe, continuing the second movie with another Cuchillo story would have
been more convenient from a box office point of view. Leone did his dollar trilogy in this sense. But I have
never been a successful money maker. I was too much interested in what I wanted to express at that very
moment in time. Box office was another story... just consider that Django clearly beat Faccia.. with respect to
mere business.

Colonel Günther Ruiz
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

Its probably been done in Italy but a book and/or a movie about the three Sergio's would be interesting.  As always, thanks Novecento.   Afro

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM