Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 12:27:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Capricorn One (1978)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capricorn One (1978)  (Read 3858 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

************Spoilers*****************

Does anyone else think this is a near masterpiece? My only knock is that the three astronauts were not attempted to be killed before the press conference. The fact that they were locked in a room like troublesome 7th graders waiting for the principal's verdict bothered me. Everything else was spot on;  a perfect blend of action, comedy and suspense, which was equally distributed throughout the movie. The scene in which Sam Waterson reaches the top of the cliff is a wonderful cinematic moment. Elliott Gould steals the show with his typical naturally hilarious screen presence.

Peter Hyams really impressed me, I might need to revisit 2010 and cerainly watch more of his work (any help?). This film, much like The Stunt Man deserves a hell of a lot more attention.

Oh, and according to imdb a remake is in store...sigh.

9/10

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

************Spoilers*****************

Does anyone else think this is a near masterpiece? My only knock is that the three astronauts were not attempted to be killed before the press conference. The fact that they were locked in a room like troublesome 7th graders waiting for the principal's verdict bothered me. Everything else was spot on;  a perfect blend of action, comedy and suspense, which was equally distributed throughout the movie. The scene in which Sam Waterson reaches the top of the cliff is a wonderful cinematic moment. Elliott Gould steals the show with his typical naturally hilarious screen presence.

Peter Hyams really impressed me, I might need to revisit 2010 and cerainly watch more of his work (any help?). This film, much like The Stunt Man deserves a hell of a lot more attention.

Oh, and according to imdb a remake is in store...sigh.

9/10

Seen it within the last five months.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:19:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »

Did you like it?

This was one of the most surprising good movies I've seen. Maybe I'm rating it too highly because it completely caught me off guard by its high quality but I recommend this to every board member who has not seen it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »

Yea I did like it, before I'd just catch bits and pieces of it on TV flipping the channels, it was the first time I caught it from the beginning.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:26:11 AM »

I've been sort of preparing to watch this for years, saw bits on TV a couple of times and wasn't impressed. Is this movie in any correlation with Brian de Palma's Mission to Mars?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:36:30 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »

I've only seen little bits of that movie and it was too long ago. You should see it though.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »

Watched it and I'm sorry to say I wouldn't give it more that a 6.5/10. It was entertaining to a certain level but also very unbalanced and scattered. Seems most of anything else there were missing the trumpets, you know, the big enemy. Like this it all sounded amateurish to me, the crazy doctor (Hal Holbrook) locks the boys in a room and makes them play idiots for months before they decide to escape, and then they run in the desert... There were some nice scenes in the desert (Brubaker the snake eater, the scorpion on the face, Willis climbing the mountain), and Gould gives a good performance (especially when he teams up with Albain (Telly Savalas) in the end), but everything else was nothing more than a low budget thriller running on reserve with ideas.

The final sequence with the starved, dehydrated, sun tortured, sleepless and exhausted Brubaker hanging on the wing of the plane, while the crazy Albain is doing turn overs trying to escape the two helicopters, is ridiculous, to say at least.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »

Watched it and I'm sorry to say I wouldn't give it more that a 6.5/10. It was entertaining to a certain level but also very unbalanced and scattered. Seems most of anything else there were missing the trumpets, you know, the big enemy. Like this it all sounded amateurish to me, the crazy doctor (Hal Holbrook) locks the boys in a room and makes them play idiots for months before they decide to escape, and then they run in the desert... There were some nice scenes in the desert (Brubaker the snake eater, the scorpion on the face, Willis climbing the mountain), and Gould gives a good performance (especially when he teams up with Albain (Telly Savalas) in the end), but everything else was nothing more than a low budget thriller running on reserve with ideas.

The final sequence with the starved, dehydrated, sun tortured, sleepless and exhausted Brubaker hanging on the wing of the plane, while the crazy Albain is doing turn overs trying to escape the two helicopters, is ridiculous, to say at least.

Thanks for watching it, first of all, but I mostly disagree with your assessment:

Their plane was low on fuel, causing them to make an emergency landing, I have no issue with that logic.

Holbrook was a good enemy to me. He was fully fleshed, and his reasons were logical  enough (discounting the locking the astronauts in the room during the press conference).

I didn't have any problems with the astronaut hanging on the wing, though the movie would have been better without it (he should have sat with Gould to keep the "I can't see" gag fresh. The sequence was too charming and funny for me to harshly criticize.

I admit that my 9 rating was probably a bit too high but I'd give at a high 8. This was well directed, I don't think you can knock the visuals and CO moved at a brisk pace. The reason it impressed me so much is that I don't know if I've seen a movie really like it.

I saw THE STAR CHAMBER recently and it was a solid thriller though the second half is completely rushed, and while the first 30-40 minutes are certainly entertaining, you basically see the same trick twice. The ending is solid but very by the book, it takes the safe, bland route. It has a neat premise but overall it's flawed. I liked it though, a solid 7.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »

It was a funny scene but you understand that is impossible? You can't hang on the wing of an airplane in motion; if you wouldn't fall you'd freeze to death, and here they're going around the canyon doing crazy maneuvers with two modern helicopters behind their back, firing at them, the guy hanging on the wind being half dead... If that was Sly or Shcwarzie we would be laughing our asses off.

The Star Chamber I remember also being extremely naive, but watchable. I'd give it a 6.75/10.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »

It was a funny scene but you understand that is impossible? You can't hang on the wing of an airplane in motion; if you wouldn't fall you'd freeze to death, and here they're going around the canyon doing crazy maneuvers with two modern helicopters behind their back, firing at them, the guy hanging on the wind being half dead... If that was Sly or Shcwarzie we would be laughing our asses off.

The Star Chamber I remember also being extremely naive, but watchable. I'd give it a 6.75/10.

I'll give illogical sequences a free pass when they earn it, and I believe this to be the case. The plane chase was shot very well, and again, it's the rare case in which I'd suspend the disbelief. If it were a Michael Bay film, I'd admit I would roll my eyes, but Hyams was on the mark for the most part - and the tone was lighthearted in spite of the subject matter. As cheesy as it sounds, charm and atmosphere carry a lot of weight with me.

Back on realism: Is the scene in which Mortimer kills Guy Calloway awful because it's impossible? Or in T2, when a semi topples down from an overpass and basically doesn't miss a beat?  etc.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:02:31 PM by T.H. » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 04:38:47 AM »

Is the scene in which Mortimer kills Guy Calloway awful because it's impossible?

Yeah but, that's a variation of one of the genre's most inherent myths. It is stylized and yeah, somewhat of a laugher, but the difference is that a sharpshooter could do it, maybe with lots of luck, but he could, on the other hand hanging from a flying plane (and not falling down or dying) is just impossible.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:18:27 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »

"Back on realism: Is the scene in which Mortimer kills Guy Calloway awful because it's impossible?"

Actually that is based on a real event that happened. If I remember right it involved Arizona Lawman Texas John Slaughter. Slaughter and an outlaw shot it out in similar fashion. The outlaw mortally wounded told Slaughter just before he died that "you out general-ed me" meaning that Slaughter's weapon had better range.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »

Actually that is based on a real event that happened. If I remember right it involved Arizona Lawman Texas John Slaughter. Slaughter and an outlaw shot it out in similar fashion. The outlaw mortally wounded told Slaughter just before he died that "you out general-ed me" meaning that Slaughter's weapon had better range.

The oracle has spoken! Cool

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »

"Back on realism: Is the scene in which Mortimer kills Guy Calloway awful because it's impossible?"

I don't doubt you for a second, but I would never think that a weapon from the old west could possess that kind of range and precision. Are you sure that the event wasn't greatly exaggerated?

Either way, I should have used an example from a John Woo film.  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM