Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 06:25:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  what were Sean's motivations/positions vis a vis the Mexican Revolution?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what were Sean's motivations/positions vis a vis the Mexican Revolution?  (Read 6567 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

You said:"not  German"; not " an improper German name".

As I pointed out , there are several words in German with"aus" prefix. We weren't discussing Names, necessarily.

Words with "aus", yes, there are many, but not with "ausch". I don't know any words nor names which begin with "ausch". "Aus" is itself a word which means "out".

And it wasn't my intent to get on you, it was just for explanation.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »

1) So I understand that Sean went to work for the revolutionaries because Juan forced his hand by killing Auschenbach. But what is still unclear to me, is (as I asked above but have not received a satisfactory answer), that once Sean does join the Revolution, he does not act merely like a mercenary, but he seems to have fully embraced the ideals of the revolution, as when we see him reading the book and lecturing Juan. Then, at the bridge, when everyone else is too scared, Juan insists on staying and "gettin rid of a few uniforms."

So if the reason Sean joined the Revolution was indeed because Juan's killing Auschenbach forced him to do so as a means of employment, then it would make sense if Sean acted like a mercenary, but instead, we see him as a full-fledged idealist. (I don't believe that joining the revolutionaries now made him a reborn idealist; he is a cynical dude who is done with that sort of stuff). So I understand that Juan's killing Auschenbach caused Sean to join the revolutionaries as a means of employment, but I don't see any justification for his reborn revolutionary zeal.

2) Furthermore, we have the major scene where Juan lectures Sean "don't tell me about revolution" and Sean throws the book onto the ground. But immediately afterward, we see Sean's revolutionary zeal continuing unabated (eg. doing the bridge job, "talking about ridding the world of a few uniforms," etc.) So how are his later actions consistent with his having thrown the book to the ground?

Perhaps you can answer #2 by saying that Sean's throwing the book to the ground indicates that he is beginning to doubt himself, but he can't be expected to completely change overnight. So while he is indeed starting to rethink his motivations, when they are by the bridge, he still does believe in revolution, though he has started to re-think it somewhat.

But I still cannot understand why -- as stated in #1 -- after joining the revolutionaries out of financial necessity, Sean inexplicably seems to believe in their cause, despite having earlier said that "one revolution was enough for me."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

Two possibilities:

1) The script isn't very good, full of contradictions that were not properly story-conferenced;

OR

2) Sean is a complex being, full of contradictions, motivated by several things at once and/or in succession. If Sean's initial motivation for joining the revolutionaries was pecuniary only, other motivations might later come to the fore. For example, Sean wants revenge on Juan, and one way he can get it is by tricking Juan into supporting a cause he abhors. So he has to play the role of the revolutionary if for no other reason than that's what it takes to sucker Juan and get his goat. But Sean has a history with that cause as well, and that history can, at times, really put the zap on his head. It's like being involved with a woman for decades, a period that might have included marriage, but, the marriage having ended, the relationship continues. And a guy in that situation might actually feel, from time to time, that he really loves this woman he's had a history with, but on other days he might nlot be able to stand the sight and smell of her. The Revolution is Sean's mistress; he is smitten only intermittently; she's betrayed him so often. But he still remembers the love of his youth, and the feelings that went with it, and those feelings, which go against his better judgement, continue to pull on him.

Also, you don't have to be a devout revolutionary to kill a few uniforms. Especially when those uniforms are intending to kill your friends and their children. You've never experienced an us-vs.-them dynamic?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM