Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:15:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Zwei Glorreiche Halunken
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zwei Glorreiche Halunken  (Read 3723 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

In the German version of GBU, Zwei Glorreiche Halunken , does anyone know eactly what (if anything) gets written on the screen during stop actions, like "the ugly" "the bad" etc., in the English-language versions? 

I've also seen Italian "il buono", "il cattivo", etc. written, anybody know about the German since the title is Zwei Glorreiche Halunken (a terrible title in my opinion)?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »

Yes, a terrible title. Very terrible.
But at least, it was Leone's working title.

What was written on the screen? It depends which version you will watch.
On the DVD it's of course in English.

But I'm not sure about the current TV version or the old VHS which represents the theatrical version. I remember it in Italian on one and in German  on the other. And in the German version brutto was translated to brutal or brute, which is a posible translation.

I've to check this all.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:44 AM »

I'm talking about the red script writing, like from an unseen hand, during the freeze frames, not in the title sequence.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »

I'm talking about this too

elliot_belt
Chicken Thief

learn your horse.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:12:01 AM »

There are indeed several versions shown in the german tv channels, the newer one including the missing footage is also widescreen and has a brighter picture, this version is called "DC". While in the GE the "german version" has the original lettering unchanged but subtitled in white capital letters (DER HÄSSLICHE / DER BÖSE / DER GUTE) as you surely know the "DC" version shown in german tv has the texts as follows: der brutale / der böse / der gute

The german title "Zwei glorreiche Halunken" of course is terrible, but at least it follows the working title closely...

[...] the old man only said that it was pointless to speak of there being no horses in the world for God would not permit such a thing.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »

While in the GE the "german version" has the original lettering unchanged but subtitled in white capital letters (DER HÄSSLICHE / DER BÖSE / DER GUTE) as you surely know the "DC" version shown in german tv has the texts as follows: der brutale / der böse / der gute
Is this also dubbed in German? And is there also an older German dub no longer in use? I ask because it seems that dubs are updated from time to time, and I know for a fact that the original German dub for FOD was replaced with a later one.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:35:16 AM »

No there's only one dub for GBU.
Only the extended parts were dubbed twice. Once for the first TV showing and then again for the DVD. Most people think that the TV dub was superior.

elliot_belt
Chicken Thief

learn your horse.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:28 AM »

Yes, I think stanton is right, there seems to be only one dub derived from the german cinematic version. I think stanton is also right in supposing that most people prefer the TV dub because sometimes the translation misses the point (I can give you an example if you like me to).
The german version of "Once upon a time in the west" is even worse, I don't think that anyone only knowing the german dub can guess what's really going on between Harmonica and Frank, at least not considering the dialogue...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:23:00 AM by elliot_belt » Logged

[...] the old man only said that it was pointless to speak of there being no horses in the world for God would not permit such a thing.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »

Bumping this thread in hopes of hearing back from Stanton or any other member who knows the history of German cuts.

I'm specifically interested in the original German theatrical release and its availability on a home release format (VHS, DVD). Was the cinematic version ever (officially or unofficially) released on DVD? If so, how do I obtain a copy?

If only on VHS, do you have a copy that you can watch? Even a TV presentation taped on VHS will do just as long as it's the original theatrical release.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »

Perhaps there's already a video (or vid clip) available online? If so, a link is much appreciated.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:20:35 AM »

What do you want with the German version?

The runtime is always given with 159 min, but I have no clue what's missing compared to the 161 min version. The cut is the international cut, but the dub was based on the original Italian version.
Mike Siegel has a 35 mm copy of it, at least I think he has.

It was released on VHS in bad full screen. And that was (alas) the first time I watched it. But on DVD we got always the same version which MGM distributes worldwide. Only that the 161 min version was slightly cut in one scene to get a FSK 16 rating. But for the 2004 DVD of the long version GBU was newly rated and is since then officially no longer a FSK 18 film.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »

What do you want with the German version?

I wish to compare the original theatrical versions (i.e "International Cut") across the US, Spain, Germany and France. Since MGM is the distributor in Germany and France the official home releases are the same as the US. That's why I'm looking for a recording of a TV presentation of the film that pre-dates the MGM home releases.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM