Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:30:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why Was Indio Sent To Prison?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Was Indio Sent To Prison?  (Read 7374 times)
Father Groggy
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:58:42 AM »

I had a curious thought about this movie recently.  Have you ever wondered what crime Indio was convicted off to sentence him to prison in the first place?  It can be argued that Indio was a more dangerous criminal than Tuco.  Yet when Tuco gets arrested, he is sentenced to be hanged.  Why not Indio?   

Perhaps although Indio had already committed several heinous crimes, the law could only convict him of something not warranting the death penalty.  Yet when he escaped, the reward for him was much higher than usual.

I am new here and have been a fan of Sergio's films for a long time.  I enjoy reading your posts and finding new things to talk about.  I thought this would make an interesting discussion.

Do you have any thoughts on this subject?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:18:36 AM »

He was, in fact, L'Homme au Masque de Fer, the brother of Louis XIV nobody knew about and contender for the throne of France and Navarre. They couldn't kill him so they imprisoned him somewhere on the New Continent, but he went mad smoking locoweed with the Mexicans and embroiled in a career of banditry, murdering and raping.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:22:14 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »

4 ideas.

1) he may have been arrested in a state where he had done nothing that deserved capital death
2) they may never have found any sufficient evidence to execute him (not as smart as Frank, but smarter than Tuco)
3) may be he was just waiting to be hanged (execution planed a few days after his escape or something)
4) he may have been arrested in a state where capital sentence was abolished (were their such states at the time?)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

4 ideas.

Thanks anyway.

Never mind him Father Groggy, he's rarely serious, as you'll soon discover if you stick on the board for a while. Anyway, welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay! Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »

Good topic that has never been brought up before BRAVO!

4 ideas.

1) he may have been arrested in a state where he had done nothing that deserved capital death

This one is reasonable for sure

2) they may never have found any sufficient evidence to execute him (not as smart as Frank, but smarter than Tuco)

and this one also, If he is actually a Mexican citizen they may not be able to execute him.

3) may be he was just waiting to be hanged (execution planed a few days after his escape or something)

possibly.

4) he may have been arrested in a state where capital sentence was abolished (were their such states at the time?)

This one no, I go back to #2

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »

Welcome, Father Groggy, and good topic.   Afro

Out of the four ideas, #3 seems the most likely to me.  El Indio was obviously a big-time crook and I'm sure that the law would have tried to execute him eventually.  Maybe he had a good attorney who kept him alive until this point?  (Johnny Cochran-Rojo)   Cheesy

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:44:13 AM »

Good topic that has never been brought up before BRAVO!

4 ideas.

This one is reasonable for sure

and this one also, If he is actually a Mexican citizen they may not be able to execute him.

possibly.

This one no, I go back to #2

Jokes aside, some of that ideas make sense, but only in theory. In practice, it was a whole different story.

Couldn't hang him in another state? - Yeah, right.

Couldn't hang him cause he was a Mexican citizen? - Yeah, right.

Couldn't hang him cause of no capital sentence? (Was there such thing in first place?) - Yeah, right.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:57:54 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Father Groggy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:26:36 AM »

Cheesy

I had another thought.  Perhaps the character played by Lorenzo Robeldo (Tomaso per Wikipedia) had something to do with it.  Because of him, Indio was sent to prison and that led to Indiio killing him and his family for revenge.

We don't know what happened there either.   Was Tomaso a lawman or bounty hounter who captured but chose not to kill Indio?  Or was Tomaso a key witness at Indio's trial and his testimony could only convict Indio of something not warranting the death penalty.

If you are interested, I have a beat up copy of the novelization of the movie I bought at a used book store several years ago.  The novel had a strange outlook.  They claimed that the reason they did not hang Indio was because the local town was afraid to.  Indio and his gang so evil and horrible, that if they were to have a public hanging, that would create an opportunity for the gang to mount a rescue.  And they would kill everybody in sight in retribution.

I always thought was a bit overdramatic and not realistic.  But I thought I would throw that out there for discussion and opinions too.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »

I think that Tomaso was a member of Indio's gang who betrayed him for the reward money. This seemed pretty obvious to me.

On the other hand, that does beg the question of why Indio's gang wasn't able to prevent him from doing so.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

I never cared to remember the name of the character he (Lorenzo Robledo) played, but IMDb for some reason lists him as playing ''Blacky''... Bollocks. Blacky died later in the movie, along with his buddies Chico and Paco.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:48:15 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »

It was Tomas or Tomaso. Blackie was the great mustache, Frank Brana.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »

Cheesy

I had another thought.  Perhaps the character played by Lorenzo Robeldo (Tomaso per Wikipedia) had something to do with it.  Because of him, Indio was sent to prison and that led to Indiio killing him and his family for revenge.

We don't know what happened there either.   Was Tomaso a lawman or bounty hounter who captured but chose not to kill Indio?  Or was Tomaso a key witness at Indio's trial and his testimony could only convict Indio of something not warranting the death penalty.

If you are interested, I have a beat up copy of the novelization of the movie I bought at a used book store several years ago.  The novel had a strange outlook.  They claimed that the reason they did not hang Indio was because the local town was afraid to.  Indio and his gang so evil and horrible, that if they were to have a public hanging, that would create an opportunity for the gang to mount a rescue.  And they would kill everybody in sight in retribution.

I always thought was a bit overdramatic and not realistic.  But I thought I would throw that out there for discussion and opinions too.

Interesting. I only knew about the Joe Millard book. Who wrote the film novelisation?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 01:37:26 AM »

That is what I think he's talking about.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Father Groggy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »

That is correct.  I figured they were one and the same.

Jeep
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »

this is slightly off topic, but still pertains to Indio being in prison......

when Groggy and his men show up to the abandoned church where Indio and the rest of the bunch have gathered, Indio asks where Sancho is, to which Groggy replies that he's in prison...then continues with "bad for him, not so bad for the rest of us...man who gets caught doesn't deserve respect, eh?"

I've always thought that was an odd thing to say, because first....Indio was caught and sent to prison, and that's pretty much the worst thing that you can say to the leader of your gang...Groggy basically told Indio that he doesn't deserve respect.

and second, because Sancho is obviously a pretty close friend of Indio's.

any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM