Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:08:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Serious Man (2009)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Serious Man (2009)  (Read 5919 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:52:46 AM »

New Coen Brothers movie coming out October 2nd, same day as Scorsese's new movie.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iggyFPls4w

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »

Looks alright. Will definitely take a gander when it hits theaters.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »

I think this is one of the best trailers in a long, long time. It reveals the atmosphere of the film, the mood, the characters, the distinct Coen style - while barely revealing anything about the plot. Also, it looks a hell of a lot like Barton Fink, which I'd say is pretty close to the Coens' best movie, right behind The Man Who Wasn't There.

Also I love the fact that there's no big name actors, which is a pretty fantastic way to follow up the star-studded Burn After Reading (a great comedy by the way, I'd recommend checking it out if you haven't).

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:30:05 AM »

Has anybody seen it?
Cannot wait for the french release.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:41 AM »

Has anybody seen it?

DJ:

A Serious Man (2009) - 11/10. Before seeing this I knew almost nothing about it (besides that it was a Coen Bros. film), and it is so artfully made it wasn't until afterwards, several hours in fact, that, upon reflection,  I finally realized it is a modern--and therefore ironic--retelling of the Story of Job. Even the title participates in the irony--Job was, of course, "a good man;" in 1967 America (the setting of the film--immaculately detailed) the best a Jew can be is, I guess, "serious." We are reminded again and again, however, that the hero has done nothing wrong; the plethora of woes that descend upon him are, par for the course, undeserved. But how funny it all is. And the theme of the original tale--the inscrutability of God in his dealings with Mankind--is preserved but nonetheless enhanced by all the humor. Woody Allen wishes he could make a film this good (I'm thinking it's the Coen's masterpiece). According to formula, the good--er, serious--man has everything restored to him (or does he? the irony continues with a final twist) and then, in the very last scene, the whirlwind arrives. But before we get a chance to see if it contains any kind of revelation, the Coen's make their final ironic move with a cut to the credits as the Airplane comes up on the soundtrack ( "Somebody To Love" is used several times as a cultural referent, but it also sets up a great joke late in the picture). A brilliant film that treads the fine line between the commercial and the artsy-fartsy. But does the viewer have to know the Job formula to appreciate the film? Well, as the rabbi said, it couldn't hurt.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:33:38 AM »

You're smarter than me.

Sounds good... I just hope it's not another Barton Fink...

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »

I've been thinking about it some more. I will probably go back and see it again--it's the film of the year, and probably the American film of the decade (which isn't saying all that much, of course). Strangely enough, there are even some helpful posts over at IMDb on this topic.

One thing that people point to is the opening vignette that is presented prior to the credits, set in (I think) 19th Century Poland, which has nothing to do with the main story. It sits there on its own, but it provides an interpretative framework for the movie proper.

I don't want to give too much away, because this really is a film that works best if you know almost nothing about it prior to viewing, but in the opener two people share an experience but choose to view it from two very different perspectives. It's kind of like the conversation between Jackson and Travolta in Pulp Fiction right after they get ambushed in the apartment. One character chooses to see things in supernatural terms, the other in terms of--let's call it--materialistic naturalism. The filmmakers do not take sides, allowing the question of interpretation to remain open.

That's very similar to what we get in A Serious Man, which poses the question, Is all that we witness the work of an inscrutable God, or random acts of chance, and if we can't tell the difference, does it matter? Note that the Coens are not advocating a particular view other than epistemological uncertainty. They are not offering their audience a chance to decide between supernaturalism/materialistic naturalism, they are simply pointing to the existence of the debate. Or to put it another way, the question posed (Is all that we view . . . ?) is itself the answer.

This may frustrate some, but to see what the Coens have achieved, it may be helpful to compare A Serious Man with The Turn of the Screw. In the Henry James novella, a story full of odd events, the question emerges: is there a supernatural explanation to all that goes on, or are we to understand that much of what happens is coming from within the young governess's mind. The author never answers that question either, and I don't think the story is explicated well by trying to "solve" the dilemma. The dilemma is simply there for us to apprehend and appreciate.

All of which is to say that A Serious Man is, in spite of all the humor (and there's tons), a very serious film . . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »

Sounds good... I just hope it's not another Barton Fink...
In some ways it is. But I could never figure out what the point of BF was, whereas in the present case the point is (with a bit of reflection) perfectly clear.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

I missed this, it was playing in Woodstock (yea that Woodstock) about 10 miles from me, and didn't realize it until it had passed, The Tinker Street Cinema in Woodstock doesn't advertise in regular papers so you have to either drive through it to see whats playing or check its on line site. http://www.tinkerstreetcinema.com/nowplaying.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »

I missed this, it was playing in Woodstock (yea that Woodstock) about 10 miles from me, and didn't realize it until it had passed, The Tinker Street Cinema in Woodstock doesn't advertise in regular papers so you have to either drive through it to see whats playing or check its on line site. http://www.tinkerstreetcinema.com/nowplaying.html

lol, but they do have a web site! Cheesy Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »

yea but I never check it. Upstate films in Rhinebeck sends emails with upcoming films http://upstatefilms.org/coming-soon  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »

Upon seeing it alongside a month of solid reflection, it's easily the greatest ever work from Coen Bros. and one of the best movies of the decade. SEE IT!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »

RR, you magnificent bast*rd, you read my book!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 03:55:31 AM »

Cannot wait for this to be released here in France...

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

DVD/Blu-ray release in February, as per http://videoeta.com/movie/109260

The exact date will be announced on Dec. 29

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM