Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dersu Uzala (1975)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dersu Uzala (1975)  (Read 1905 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071411/

Still one of my favorite movies no matter how many times I watch it. A simple tale of friendship and loyalty but told through the camera of a great artist and visionary. The first part is perfect, the second is not, but it's still very good. It's not flawless: it's around 30 minutes overlong (it won't hurt you to watch it but it feels a bit superficial and not so eventful like the rest), and we don't get to see the city of Khabarovsk (the only urban center in the movie) at all... (Scrimp Commie bastards.)

8.5/10

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:01:55 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:01 AM »

One of your favorite movies and only an 8.5?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:03:20 AM »

I'm trying to be objective.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 05:17:10 AM »

shenanigans!!!!!! Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry Evil Azn Afro

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »

The whole movie is available on YouTube, with English subtitles. The quality is not so good but hey, it's free.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »

I've been wanting to see this for a while. I've seen about ten Kurosawa films but none of them were close to even disappointing. Ran and Ikiru are easily his best works. I'll definitely check this out soon, but not on Youtube - I've gotta get my hands on a DVD.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »

The whole movie is available on YouTube, with English subtitles. The quality is not so good but hey, it's free.
Even the home video options don't provide a very satisfactory viewing experience. Apparently, there are no good masters of this film, and the film itself is in need of a restoration. A shame, as this is Kurosawa's best Russian film and needs to be seen by everyone. But those damn commies probably won't be willing to spend the necessary roubles.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »

Even the home video options don't provide a very satisfactory viewing experience. Apparently, there are no good masters of this film, and the film itself is in need of a restoration. A shame, as this is Kurosawa's best Russian film and needs to be seen by everyone. But those damn commies probably won't be willing to spend the necessary roubles.

The DVD I own is OK; nothing special but for a movie that old and that neglected it looks and sounds acceptably. From what I could find on the net there's a variety of DVD versions circulating, from American and Russian international editions to Polish and even Spanish home versions. Something called ''Dersu Uzala - Collection Edition'' from 2002 is available from Amazon for about 28 bucks, but I'm guessing that's the Russian home edition (Cyrillic), though I'm not sure.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »

I've been wanting to see this for a while. I've seen about ten Kurosawa films but none of them were close to even disappointing. Ran and Ikiru are easily his best works. I'll definitely check this out soon, but not on Youtube - I've gotta get my hands on a DVD.

Many people I know that praise most of Kurosawa's other movies have a soft spot for Dersu Uzala, and also many people that otherwise don't like very much his classic body of work like Dersu Uzala, which is, IMO, completely understandable. His other movies are (apart from being great) universally approachable even for a Westerners, but they also have a strong Oriental influence you can't take away from them (something most people would just call bullshitting). It's like, they're great, but you don't really understand all in them, you don't understand why this crazy Oriental has to rely so much on philosophy and theatralization, but you watch them, because they're great. That's maybe comparable to Fellini's movies in China or Japan, they never became part of the mainstream, I'm guessing most people didn't understand them, but those that had a passion for cinema knew they had in hands something great.

Anyway, in Dersu Uzala any doubtful infidel can witness that the man always knew what he was doing. The story itself isn't complex or much original, ''the ignorant white man against the nature'', but the master carves in the substance with passion and style.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:12:57 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM