Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:31:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sin City
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sin City  (Read 11130 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »

This was some kind of disappointment to me. I don't know what exactly I was expecting but it wasn't as good as I hoped. I gave it a nother change (mainly because of Alba) and I liked it maybe even less. There are some good scenes which are mostly the joke scenes (the car scene with the corpse, the toilet scene, the arrow scene). The most interesting story is Willis'. IMO, laughably overrated (around #60 on IMDb  Shocked) and no way better than Kill Bills, that are not the greatest movies either. I liked Desperado better.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »

Marv's story is the most enjoyable.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »

I probably wrote down my opinion already somewhere, but it doesn't matter.

Each time I re-watch this movie I end up liking it less. The first time I watched it I'd give it a 8 or maybe even more, now a 7 looks awfully generous. What to say, it still is visually striking, the black gory humor never gets old and Marv's little show in town is still interesting to follow, but besides that I can't find any more strong points to hold me down till the very end. I've gradually come to hate the narration; together with the cartoonish characters it becomes like a rock on the movie's shoulders difficult to bear. I think it was somewhat of a revelation to people that never read the graphic novels, and even I didn't mind it that much the first time, but now it seems excessive and unnecessary in about 80% of the screen time, and cheesy. There must have been a more agile way to bypass it and give the characters some room to breath and dive into the visual perversion...

6.8 - 7 / 10

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:19:35 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »

Hmm, but that little dyke was hot. Kiss

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »

I probably wrote down my opinion already somewhere, but it doesn't matter.

Each time I re-watch this movie I end up liking it less. The first time I watched it I'd give it a 8 or maybe even more, now a 7 looks awfully generous. What to say, it still is visually striking, the black gory humor never gets old and Marv's little show in town is still interesting to follow, but besides that I can't find any more strong points to hold me down till the very end. I've gradually come to hate the narration; together with the cartoonish characters it becomes like a rock on the movie's shoulders difficult to bear. I think it was somewhat of a revelation to people that never read the graphic novels, and even I didn't mind it that much the first time, but now it seems excessive and unnecessary in about 80% of the screen time, and cheesy. There must have been a more agile way to bypass it and give the characters some room to breath and dive into the visual perversion...

6.8 - 7 / 10
Those are pretty much my thoughts but I couldn't give the movie more than 6/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »

Those are pretty much my thoughts but I couldn't give the movie more than 6/10.

I'm about two watches from that.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

You should rate the 3 stories separate than all together.Maybe your Enjoyment level will be higher.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 10:39:43 PM »

I have only watched it twice once at the theater once on video, but not recently. I'll give it a go when I return and see if I feel the same as you all.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »

Mikey Rourke, is he wearing some kind of mask? I remember reading that his face got all messed up from boxing, but nobody can look that screwd up, whats the word there?

He looks worse off screen.

I haven't seen this since its release into the theatres but I remember enjoying it very much.

The Marv segment could've been the best but the first 15 minutes move far too fast. We jump from scene to scene within a matter of seconds.
Luckily Rodriguez wises up and lets the film breath right about the time Marv drags an unlucky fellow across the pavement while driving his car.

The Clive Owen story has some great moments but suffers from being overlong.

The third story That Yellow Bastard, was my favorite.
Even Jessica Alba comes off well in it.

8/10

I could've done without the Josh Hartnett closing of the movie.
The visuals don't mesh well with the rest of the film.

This is probably Rodriguez's best effort.
From Dusk Til Dawn is a close second.
Could've been first (could have even been a contender for the best film of the 90's) but he ruins it with that Vampire nonsense 50 minutes in.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:18:12 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

You should rate the 3 stories separate than all together.Maybe your Enjoyment level will be higher.
That's the way to do it. I'd give Marv's story 9/10, "The Yellow Bastard" 8/10, the long unfunny one with the Tarantino bit in the middle a 6/10. The Josh Hairnet opener/closer doesn't really count, kind of a rip-off from The Twilight Zone movie anyway.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

kind of a rip-off from The Twilight Zone movie anyway.

How so?
It's very common for anthology movies to have "wraparound stories" that open and close the picture.
The only similarity I can see is the movie ends in a hospital and in TZ it ends in an amubulance on the way to a hospital.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »

When I think of what you're calling a "wraparound" story I think of something that begins but doesn't actually end until all the other stories are complete. Twilight Zone The Movie and Sin City are bookended with opening and closing stories that are actually echoes of each other; in both cases we are introduced at the beginning to a character that turns out to be surprisingly dangerous and kills someone; at the end, a character that continues from another story meets the dangerous being from Story #1: because of what we already know, we realize immediately that the dangerous character has found its next victim. We don't even need to see the idea play out, a suggestion is all we require: "Want to see something . . . really scary?"

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM