Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 04:47:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The man with no name paper back books
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The man with no name paper back books  (Read 3435 times)
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has the paper back books of the dollars trilogy, based around the man with no name?

I have just got another book in the series called a coffin full of dollars and i'm reading it now, it's another adventure of the man with no name and you can picture clint in the film as you read it. There is another in the series called a dollar to die for.

I just wondered if anyone else has them, or if they had read them, they came out in the seventees, wonder if sergio ever had an idea to film one of the other two, it's good so far a coffin full of dollars, hope the ending is good.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 03:34:29 PM »

I bought the novelisation of GBU the other day and I'm half way through it now. It's ok, it follows the plot pretty much matching scene to chapter, with a few extra scenes thrown in to flesh it out - for example an intro telling the story of the soldiers burying the gold, and more detail on Angeleyes' hunt for Bill Carson. The most annoying thing is that the dialogue has been changed, losing some classic lines. For example Angeleyes, instead of saying "When I'm paid I always see the job through" now says the far less catchy "When someone pays me to do a job, I always do that job". I wonder if maybe Joe Millard was using the original Italian script?

It's class.
El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »

I bought the series in the seventies and i am pretty sure that Sergio had no intentions to film any of them as they came out when he had moved on to other things. In the GBU the first chapter details how the gold came to be buried in Sad Hill cemetry. I also recall that Setenza steals a uniform and papers from a dead soldier which then enables him to go to the prison camp. I think it has the other cut scenes which will be in the new DVD as well. I will have to check it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 04:09:26 PM »

I remember reading one called "Blood for for a Dirty Dollar" I think

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 04:38:40 PM »

I also recall that Setenza steals a uniform and papers from a dead soldier which then enables him to go to the prison camp.

That's another point - In the book he basically cons his way into the army, whereas I always assumed he was already an officer. I don't think the film actually says either way, although some of the stuff the blond officer with the gangrene says suggests he has been in the army a while and gained a reputation for his cruelty.

It's class.
Bill Carson
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 03:25:00 AM »

Cool y'know... this is something I mentioned on the boards a LONG time ago (got no response, thanks Amigos!) I have all three of the MAN WITH NO NAME paperbacks and I think they are cool! gives you a little more depth into the characters and stories. these are a must for all true fans, hunt them down!

Bill Carson
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 03:27:31 AM »

oh, by the way... in GBU, Eastwood's character is referred to by Tuco as 'Whitey' instead of 'Blondie'. yeah, I think perhaps Joe Millard did adapt this book from the original Italian script eh?

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 05:00:34 AM »

Actually, one quite big change in the GBU book which really annoyed me was at the end. When "Whitey" and Tuco first find Arch Stanton's grave, Tuco tries to shoot Whitey so he can grab the money for himself. It's then that he discovers his gun has been emptied. Tuco then tries to bargain pathetically with both Whitey and Sentenza. Not only does it change Tuco's character to some extent it also means the final duel is just Whitey and Sentenza, not the famed 3-way.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend the book. It only really works as a film anyway.

It's class.
mothman
Road Apple

The Mothman Cometh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 04:28:22 PM »

i looked around and you can by these at biblio.com search for joe millard and you should be able to notice which ones are TMWNN

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM