Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:25:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  1408 (2007)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1408 (2007)  (Read 2288 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:03:58 PM »

A fun spook house (in this case room) movie that tends to go overboard in some of the supernatural experiences (a faxed child's clothing? A portrait of a scooner flooding the room?).

Anybody else watch it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »

I saw it, thought it was good, not great though. There were times where I felt I was watching a loose remake of Evil Dead which was cool, but like you say it goes overboard and decks it out with too much stuff. Take out a few sequences here and there and a slightly more serious tone (there were times where I felt the character was taking everything a little too lightly), then it would've been a much more effective thriller. A lot of reviews I've heard say that it's "actually scary" unlike torture-type flicks of recent years like Saw and Hostel, but I think this movie had just a lot of "jump-scares" that really didn't have a lasting effect for the movie as a whole. Though I guess it's just really hard to pull off supernatural stuff being scary. I give it a B-

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »

I saw it, thought it was good, not great though. There were times where I felt I was watching a loose remake of Evil Dead which was cool, but like you say it goes overboard and decks it out with too much stuff. Take out a few sequences here and there and a slightly more serious tone (there were times where I felt the character was taking everything a little too lightly), then it would've been a much more effective thriller. A lot of reviews I've heard say that it's "actually scary" unlike torture-type flicks of recent years like Saw and Hostel, but I think this movie had just a lot of "jump-scares" that really didn't have a lasting effect for the movie as a whole. Though I guess it's just really hard to pull off supernatural stuff being scary. I give it a B-

With all the alone time the main character gets and the camera constantly on handheld mode..."Evil Dead" popped into my head once or twice as well.

I like to call jump-scares "Cheap scares". They are very easy too pull off. Just have about 10 seconds of silence then have a loud noise penetrate the audience's ears.

This movie had too much of them.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:00:45 PM »

A fun spook house (in this case room) movie that tends to go overboard in some of the supernatural experiences (a faxed child's clothing? A portrait of a scooner flooding the room?).

Anybody else watch it?
Almost every week for the last 30 years.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »

I will not watch it since De-Railed sucked major eggs.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:04 AM »

Watched it a few years ago and would have given it a 7 then, I think, but tried again today and couldn't finish it (stopped some 15-20 minutes after Samuel L. Jackson leaves). Too much ''one man against a camera'' stuff, I just wasn't in the mood.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM