Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:32:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bubba Ho-tep (2002)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bubba Ho-tep (2002)  (Read 2711 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/

I guess the only reason for this being (partly) horror was to make the fan(boy)s of Bruce Campbell and Don Coscarelli happy. A shame really; they nearly ruined a movie that started and rolled for 3/4 as an excellent drama about missed opportunities and wrong turns in life, with a magnificent subtle performance from Bruce Campbell that gave his character a cloak of rarely seen desperate bitterness.

I know there must be a couple of his interviews on YT where he's saying that indie movies are the last bastion of unconventional thinking and ideas, I'm happy that at least in this case I can agree with him.

7.55/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »

I haven't seen it in a few years but I mostly enjoyed it, though it could have been trimmed 10-15 mins. I can't say I agree with your complaint that the film should have scrapped the zombie angle. I doubt the crew would been able to make a coherent film considering the zombie angle holds everything together.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »

I haven't seen it in a few years but I mostly enjoyed it, though it could have been trimmed 10-15 mins. I can't say I agree with your complaint that the film should have scrapped the zombie angle. I doubt the crew would been able to make a coherent film considering the zombie angle holds everything together.

But it's the mummy angle that (bizarrely) brings in the mature themes about old age and death into the picture.
If it weren't for the mummy, Elvis wouldn't feel the need to have one more stab at life.

8/10

- I agree that the climax, which seems to go on forever (how many times do you have to light a mummy up on fire to kill it?), could be trimmed some.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:29:34 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »

But it's the mummy angle that (bizarrely) brings in the mature themes about old age and death into the picture.
If it weren't for the mummy, Elvis wouldn't feel the need to have one more stab at life.

8/10

- I agree that the climax, which seems to go on forever (how many times do you have to light a mummy up on fire to kill it?), could be trimmed some.

Yeah, just replace "zombie" with "supernatural element" or "mummy" in my original post.

I agree with everything you said.

I don't mean to pull a Kanye West (I hate modern pop culture references but whatever), but my grammar has been horrendous lately. I've been noticing errors in virtually all of my posts. My apologies, SLWBers.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:34:39 AM »

I partially agree with you guys, perhaps I didn't express myself the best way. As I said; it does work for nearly 3/4 of the movie, it gets the picture going, but if you think better it didn't have to be a classic horror villain like the mummy at all, it could have been just another murder mystery. The ending really sucked, though it had a few sardonic angles to it, like Elvis waiting for the electric wheelchair to come his way.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

The climax does suck but it is slightly redeemed by Campbell's delivery of the line "Thank you... Thank you very much".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »

about missed opportunities and wrong turns in life  Evil  killer diller DD / U da MAN son

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

Yeah-fuck-yeah!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM