Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 04:24:56 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Special Edition DVD Review
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: GBU Special Edition DVD Review  ( 18978 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #15 : April 19, 2004, 04:11:36 AM »

got the R2 disc last Thursday, and it's good. Very good in fact. But the added scenes' sound isn't as good as the rest of it. Especially the Grotto scene sounds way off.

Yea you'd think with all the modern tech they would get it perfect. LVC's voice impersonator did a better job than Clint or Eli. The grotto scene may have improved if they had added a slight echo chamber effect, that may have masked Eli's old man version of his voice.

But its still worth it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mackace23
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #16 : April 19, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »

http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/goodthebadandtheugly.htm

Here is the 1st R1 review I have read.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #17 : April 20, 2004, 12:47:16 AM »

Cancelled my r2 pre-order, and ordered r1 from dvdpacific for 20 bucks. I need the italian mono track. Does both editions include the same special features? I don't want to miss out on anything, but I don't want to by the disc twice either.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #18 : April 20, 2004, 10:44:09 AM »

Yes all the special features are the same on R1 & R2. The only other difference is the cover design and the Type on the menu's.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #19 : April 21, 2004, 12:11:41 PM »

Cancelled my r2 pre-order, and ordered r1 from dvdpacific for 20 bucks. I need the italian mono track. Does both editions include the same special features? I don't want to miss out on anything, but I don't want to by the disc twice either.

I heard theres second half of the Morricone feature missing from the Region 1...
but this could be only misinformation.  :-\

It would be an odd thing to miss off.
More so the Disc 2 of R1/R2 are indentical..

« : April 21, 2004, 12:12:10 PM The Smoker »

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #20 : April 23, 2004, 02:06:07 AM »

According to www.dvdcompare.net all the special features are identical, so we wont miss out on the Morricone featurette.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #21 : April 30, 2004, 12:41:19 PM »

Well,just seen it ,quality generally excellent and it's great to have the extra scenes,but I agree with others in that the voice differences are jarring.I don't know how else they could have done it,though.

Out of the extras I've seen,the reconstruction of the lost 'Socorro sequence' is interesting,and the extended Tuco torture scene is great-it's a shame that this  could not be put into the film,as the scene flows much better,and it's not much more violence,mainly the soldiers playing,and it's more poignant,I think.

Don't know if I'll bother with the commentary-I listened to Schickel's one on OUATIA,and I didn't learn a single new thing about the film'with Schickel often reduced to merely telling you what was happening.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

« #22 : May 05, 2004, 06:59:10 AM »

I watched GBU:SE this weekend and as much as enjoyed the extra scenes the new sound effects were driving me crazy. It starts when Tuco jumps through the window at the beginning to be accompanied by what sounded like my whole front windows been smashed in! Great if I was watching a new movie but not on a 40 year one I've seen 100 of times...also the gun shots are awful - one only has to pop in the OUATITW DVD and check out the 'final' gunshot from Bronson (EVEN ON THE MONO TRACK!!!) to hear how damn cool Leone made sound effect back in '68 (and how cool they still sound turned up LOUD on modern systems!) The ones in GBU:SE sound like a generic blast that you find in every first person shoot 'em up on the PC. :(

It kind of made Clint's line about Eli, ironic...

"Every gun makes it's own tune!" well NOT ANYMORE! They all sound the same!  :-\

To be fair I don't think the problem John Kirk talks about would have occurred had this just been a DVD remaster, and not a full film (to be shown in cinemas) restoration. In fact the cut extended Tuco torture scene that was not put back into the film because the footage was too poor in comparison, well it practically looks the same on my 32" WS TV so it could have slipped back in no problems for the DVD.

Anyway! I was gonna save my grumbling for when I get the R1 with the Original ITALIAN Mono intact - when I can do a proper side-by-side.

El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #23 : May 05, 2004, 04:24:48 PM »

Just got my copy today and had a quick look at a couple of the extras. I loved the bit on the french trailer when tuco fires the cannon and it collapses. Brilliant. Tuco is foiled again. I had a couple of stills of this scene and wondered how it looked. Does anyone know how it would fit in to the film as when blondie fires the cannon at tuco the ecstasy of gold theme starts as tuco is on the ground.
I thought the extended tuco torture scene looked okay on my tv as well apart from a couple of slight hiccups.

mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

« #24 : May 18, 2004, 06:33:51 AM »

"Every gun makes it's own tune!" well NOT ANYMORE! They all sound the same!  

Man that stinks. Not the first time I had heard this. Oh well when I want the original track I will pop in the old dvd.

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
mackace23
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #25 : May 18, 2004, 11:45:03 AM »

For someone who has seen this movie countless times, the sound effects remaster is horrible. Especially the gun shots. I know they wanted to re do it in 5.1 but why  would they change them?! It's totally noticeable! That was part of the charm of the movie was the *twanggg of the shots >:(

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #26 : May 22, 2004, 09:15:49 PM »

Here's the New York Times review of the DVD

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/18/movies/18DVD.html  

NEW DVD'S
Spaghetti Western (No Meatballs)
By DAVE KEHR

Published: May 18, 2004

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'
The most ambitious and enduringly popular of Sergio Leone's three Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" has finally arrived on DVD in a definitive edition from MGM Home Entertainment. Leone's enigmatic moral tale is about a flawed, all-too-human being (the bandit Tuco, played by Eli Wallach) and the two eerily distant, almost supernatural figures (the angelic Blondie, played by Mr. Eastwood, and the demonic Angel Eyes, played by Lee Van Cleef), who accompany him on a search for stolen gold along the rough western front of the Civil War.  

Though much of what has been said about the film (including the fine commentary track here, presented by the critic Richard Schickel) emphasizes its links to the American western, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is also a profoundly European work, rooted in the picaresque tradition and more specifically in the great school of Italian social comedy. (Mario Monicelli's 1959 World War I comedy "La Grande Guerra," which was written by Leone's three screenwriting collaborators on "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Luciano Vincenzoni and the team known as Age and Scarpelli is one prime source for the film's structure and characterizations.)

The new disc follows the cut of the 1966 premiere in Rome, restoring some 16 minutes' worth of scenes (and helping to plug a couple of large plot holes in the process), while the image track has recovered a density of detail that the original prints, made in the now obsolete Techniscope process, could not display. Purists may object to the overly busy 5.1 remix that MGM has given the original monaural soundtrack, but the disc does offer the mono Italian-language track as an option (with English subtitles).

The handsome two-disc box set includes a fistful of extras, including historical background information, documentaries that include interviews with Mr. Eastwood and Mr. Wallach, and an account of the restoration. A home library essential. $29.98. 178 mins. Not rated.

« : May 22, 2004, 09:19:07 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

« #27 : May 22, 2004, 10:01:56 PM »

Just watched my R1 special edition . Although the sound is altered (gunshots especially) I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The picture looks great. I can now watch the Italian language mono  extended version if I want, the original disc for english mono (like any of us would have dumped it anyway) or the new english 5.1 mix. Thats not even getting to the extras and bonus goodies. Another verson of 1 of my favorite films  :)

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #28 : May 24, 2004, 07:06:41 AM »

Just watched my R1 special edition . Although the sound is altered (gunshots especially) I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The picture looks great. I can now watch the Italian language mono  extended version if I want, the original disc for english mono (like any of us would have dumped it anyway) or the new english 5.1 mix. Thats not even getting to the extras and bonus goodies. Another verson of 1 of my favorite films  :)

Just watched mine this weekend, this is a gorgeous transfer.  It's visually stunning, the really did a spectacular job with it.

Watched the 2nd disc extras first - (if you haven't got it yet don't read any further) - and was very pleasantly surprised that Eli and Clint gave extended interviews.  That was the best treat of all and unexpected, worth the price just for that.  

Then watched Disc 1 WITH the commentary.  I hated Schickel's commentary on OATIA, thought he did a terrible job with it.  But since he is the expert on all things Clint he did a much better job with GBU.  Brought a lot more insight to this film than he did with OATIA, quite a few original thoughts and anecdotes.

The sound does seem jarring, I don't know what they did with it.  Probably overcompensated for the movie theater run.  The 5.1 conversion of OUTITW is much more fluid than GBU - since that didn't have the theatrical rerelease they didn't have to soup up the surround effects so much I guess.  

I'm not a Luddite but in this instance I totally agree that they should have included a mono English version.   This version seems to be doing weird things with dialog wandering to side and back channels.  I agree with everyone else, the gunshots really suck.  I'll have to fiddle with the surround settings on my system some more - this has a ton of unwelcome reverb on top of the channel issues.  That wasn't the case at all with OUTITW.

But I can forgive the sound flaws for the exquisite visual quality, which more than makes up for it in my opinion.  It's just a hypnotically beautiful film, you can really appreciate what an artist Leone was.  Each frame, each composition is a masterpiece.  Bravo  ;D

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

« #29 : May 24, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »

I too just got the collectors edition DVD and watched all the exras and about 1/4 of the movie.  Visually great.  As for the sound while the gun shots are a little different it was not that noticable to me.  I watched on a regular 35" TV without surround sound though.  As some one said earlier the twaaang sound is reduced.  I listened to some of the voice over commentary.  Schickel makes a mistake when he introduces Angel Eyes in the farm house scene because he refers to him as "the ugly".  He may be referring to the original Italian which I think he is the ugly but in the american version and the one being commented on he is "the bad."  I found the commentary so far (have not listened to it all) to be less informative than the commentary on OUATITW which I enjoyed.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines