Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 06:20:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Whisperers (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Whisperers (1967)  ( 34 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : August 24, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »

This film has just enough noir in it to qualify for this subforum.  I ran across this British film on Youtube. ( I've been on a British film screening run).  Edith Evans plays Ms. Ross, a lonely, eccentric elderly lady who spins her time talking to the walls in her apartment.  Decades earlier she had been abandoned by her foul charactered husband.  Her equally foul son makes a appearance after a bank robbery and hides his loot in her apartment.

The film doesn't have a elaborate plot, it instead focuses on the social issues of elderly people like Ms. Ross who is left to tend for herself and the traumatic effect it has on her as she ages.  Its not a film for people who can't or will not take the time to see this side of society. 

Edith Evans was truly believable here. Its a performance that I've rarely seen in film.  From Wiki we find the following awards she won:

Edith Evans was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, and won the BAFTA Award, the Silver Bear for Best Actress award at the 17th Berlin International Film Festival, the National Board of Review award, the New York Film Critics Circle award, and the Golden Globe Award all for Best Actress.

This is a fantastic film. It was directed by Bryan Forbes and shot in Lancashire in northwest England.  The area was in heavy decline and fit the austurity of the times that were portrayed in the film.  Its a great watch and I rate this a 8 out of 10, a good bit higher than the IDMB ratings of 7.2.  Its a must watch...

« : August 24, 2018, 11:31:21 PM moorman »
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines