Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 07:36:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland  (Read 7545 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:57 AM »

My understanding is that Switzerland only signed this extradition treaty with the US about twelve years ago. So it's possible that this is the first time Polanski has been in the country since then, and they took the opportunity to nab him.

Saturday nights with Groggy
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »

No, the international 'WANTED' call on Polanski was released in 2005. That's what the swiss government states.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »

If that's true what the girl states (but we will never know), than Polanski deserves a few years in jail.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »

At this point, I don't so much care about the case as the moronic defenses of Polanski that I'm hearing constantly, from both boneheaded IMDBers and significant real-world personages.

If the defense of Polanski consisted of:

- He's 76 years old now, no real point in punishing him
- This happened so long ago it doesn't really matter (although I doubt these defenses would be brought up were it a politician, or God forbid, a priest/rabbi/etc.)
- Circumstances are rather murky, he and she were on drugs at the time, it's largely a he-said/she-said situation. I'd give the victim the benefit of the doubt but under the law I can see room for doubt.
- The victim has more or less forgiven him (probably the strongest argument in my view
- He was about to be railroaded by an ambitious prick judge and had at least some justification for flying the coop

You might make me somewhat sympathetic to your case. But instead I keep hearing arguments along the lines of:

- He's an artist, his work makes up for his crime (ANYONE really buy this!?). The argument by some that he's a BAD director and thus SHOULD be punished is equally asinine, but I find it less repugnant.
- He's suffered enough through his life (which can be said of pretty much ANY criminal if you think about it)
- The girl was 13, which is "old enough" (according to some people) to be responsible for her actions in that situation, even while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Alternately, pedophilia laws are unjust and stupid (which MAY be the case but to my way of thinking is irrelevant here)
- Henry Kissinger and various war criminals are immune from prosecution for their crimes, why go after Polanski? (I have no use of moral equivalence in a case like this)
- The crime wasn't bad at all (even though it was essentially a date rape of a much younger person)
- The girl was a skank who either can't be trusted or in some sick way deserved it (not surprising coming from the misogynist mouths of IMDBers)
- The American criminal justice system is crooked and/or barbaric. Whether or not this is the case, let's please not try and set up Polanski as some sort of "martyr" because he boinked a girl up the ass thirty years (which seems to be what the Hollywood elite and other directors are doing). He's not going to prison on a fabricated charge of murder or for expressing a political view, for God's sakes. This is especially stupid since Polanski is almost certainly going to serve at best a token sentence, if anything at all, given the extenuating circumstances named above.

It's really pissing me off. And if it were just IMDB morons I could buy it, but we have directors, politicians and others enlisting several of the above arguments!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:35:57 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »

Good post, Grogs.

This story is getting a lot of traction, and it's useful if for no other reason than it reveals who can make reasoned arguments and who can't. Polanski opted out of a process 30 years ago that was intended to resolve the issue then. As that process has now reclaimed him, he can't now use the 30-year gap as part of his defense (the process did not fail him, he failed the process). In fact, avoidance of the process is in itself an additional offense. He must resume where he left off, and in addition, answer to the flight charge.

To hold otherwise is simply to engage in special pleading. Either Polanski is a man like other men, or he is a person with a special status that allows him to disregard the rules the rest of us must live by. And as far as I know, the US does not recognize aristocratic privilege. But we live in strange times, and, as Yogi Berra famously said, predictions are really hard, especially when they're about the future.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:35:46 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »

Exactly. The statute of limitations no longer applies inasmuch as he was convicted of the crime and is a fugitive from the law. So technically, it's no longer an issue of the rape, but of him evading justice.

Quite frankly, I'm more than a bit baffled by the complete lack of morality and common sense some people are displaying here. Whether or not Polanski should be held accountable all these years later, can we at least agree that what he did is illegal and wrong? But some people won't even concede that much. Whether a pedophilia law is unjust or not (though with a 13 year old girl I'd argue the latter), the fact remains that he committed a crime. And as it runs awful close to rape to begin with, age doesn't even matter that much.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:39:46 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »

Here's a good piece on the topic: http://www.doublex.com/section/news-politics/roman-polanskis-arrest-his-own-fault

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »

Thanks Jenkins.

riotengine
Chicken Thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »

Evidently, Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen have put forth a petition to have Polanski released.

Greg Espinoza

"It's a chess piece, the most versatile on the board. It can move in eight different directions, over obstacles, and it's always unexpected."

-- Richard Boone as Paladin
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

Yep, and lots of other noteworthy directors have signed it (Tornatore, Mann, Lynch, a bunch of Frogs). Not really surprising.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »

Why would somebody, other than the U.S., act now?
I know it's far fetched but some paper speculated that the Swiss acted now because it would please some huge American bank. The Swiss are into banks or something, I guess...

The whole affair is pretty stupid, IMO. Did he commit a crime? According to US laws, I think he did. Was it right for Polanski to flee? Legally? Hell no. Morally? I dunno. Was it right to arrest him now? Shit, I don't care.  Was he stupid/careless when he got arrested after 30 years? Fuck yes. Whose the biggest loser here: the girl (now middle aged woman), Polanski or moviegoers? Guess what's my answer...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »

Hmm...

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20369437,00.html?xid=rss-fullc  ontent

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

So, 4 years after the alleged rape, she appeared in a Polanski's movie... Embarrassed

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »

Some people who do anything for a buck.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »

Well we don't know that, let's not throw rocks at them until we hear the whole story, rape of minors is a serious crime in my book, as it should be in everybody's. But it is a funny business all around, I must say.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:31:31 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM