Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland  (Read 7535 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »

Well we don't know that, let's not throw rocks at them until we hear the whole story, rape of minors is a serious crime in my book, as it should be in everybody's. But it is a funny business all around, I must say.

Rape generally it's a serious crime, not only of minors. But this last story about Polanski stinks.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Of course, that's what I meant.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »

What would rrpower say? "Rape is fun but this bussines boring."

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »

http://bigstory.ap.org/eea2cc134b7c459b9c72bd2f9e165cec

Polish Justice Minister Revives Polanski Extradition Drive

By Monika Scislowska

WARSAW, Poland (AP)
— Poland's justice minister on Tuesday revived an effort to have filmmaker Roman Polanski extradited to the U.S., where he is wanted in a nearly 40-year-old case involving sex with a minor.

Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro's office said he asked Poland's Supreme Court to annul a ruling in October by a court in Krakow which found that Polish law forbids Polanski's extradition. In November, prosecutors said they found no grounds to challenge the decision.

Ziobro took office late last year, after the ruling, as part of a new conservative government. The minister, who is also the country's chief prosecutor, argues that celebrity status is shielding Oscar-winning director Polanski in Poland, where he grew up and which he often visits.

The Krakow court's decision was at odds with a Polish-U.S. extradition agreement, Ziobro's office argued in a statement. It said that, "according to the extradition agreement, the defendant should be handed over to the United States."

The director pleaded guilty in 1977 to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl during a photo shoot in Los Angeles. In a deal with the judge, he served 42 days in prison, but then fled the U.S. fearing the judge would have him imprisoned again for much longer.

The U.S. has been seeking to bring Polanski back and put him before a court.

Last year, the Krakow judge ruling on the case found that Polanski served his punishment in confinement in the U.S., and later for 10 months — partly under house arrest — in Switzerland in 2009-2010 when the U.S. unsuccessfully sought his extradition there.

He argued that U.S. judges and prosecutors in the case violated legal procedures, broke the plea bargain in 1977, denied Polanski the right to proper defense and appeared biased.

Jan Olszewski, Polanski's lawyer in Krakow, where the filmmaker has an apartment, told The Associated Press he had contacted the director about Ziobro's decision, which "we had been expecting."

"The court's verdict stands and Mr. Polanski is a free man," he said. "But I cannot exclude that this situation will affect his decisions as to visiting Poland."

Paris-born Polanski, 83, has Polish and French citizenship. He lives in Paris but often visits Poland, where he is popular and is preparing to make a film.

Polanski's artistic output is deeply admired in Poland, where he spent his World War II childhood and later went into filmmaking. His mother died at the Auschwitz death camp.

The filmmaker's movements are restricted by an Interpol warrant in effect in 188 countries, but he has avoided extradition by traveling only between France, Poland and Switzerland, which in 2011 rejected a U.S. request to extradite Polanski. Ziobro's move could now make Poland a risky destination for him.

Polanski won an Academy Award for best director for his 2002 film "The Pianist," which he filmed in Warsaw, and was nominated for his 1970s movies "Chinatown" and "Tess."

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-roman-polanski-accused-of-raping-german-1507133265-htmlstory.html

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »

here are the articles the LA TImes article is based on, from the Associated Press https://www.apnews.com/ecd3f8954bab4c73b21056bfb8ec02e5/German-woman-says-Polanski-sexually-assaulted-her-in-1972 and New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/movies/roman-polanski-rape-accusation.html

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4983560/Emma-DID-sign-petition-help-Polanski.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »

I’ve noticed that none of the assholes on this board who defended Polanski are rushing to Weinstein’s defense.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 01:40:21 AM »

I’ve noticed that none of the assholes on this board who defended Polanski are rushing to Weinstein’s defense.

Who did defend Polanski on this board?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/23/roman-polanski-marianne-barnard-allegations

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »

Who did defend Polanski on this board?

Look at the title of this thread! Saying “shame on Switzerland” for arresting Polanski.

I didn’t mean they necessarily defended his rape. I meant they defended his remaining a free man, not having to be imprisoned for his crimes. What else can be interpreted from the words “Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland”?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »

I completely forgot the title. Then this one is on Mike Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »

I just think that the law should apply equally to everyone. The fact that so many celebrities, people in the film industry, were signing petitions for Polanski is despicable. Being an artist shouldn’t change how the law treats you, for better or worse.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

I just think that the law should apply equally to everyone. The fact that so many celebrities, people in the film industry, were signing petitions for Polanski is despicable. Being an artist shouldn’t change how the law treats you, for better or worse.
Hear, hear!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »

And sitting Presidents?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM