Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 11:01:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Polanski in jail / shame on Switzerland  (Read 7570 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »

Sitting male presidents can rape but HILLARY EMAILS, EMAILS, EMAILS.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

Well anybody who knows a little bit about the Polanski case knows that the
so-called "law" in LA at the time (i.e. a certain judge) of his "trial" was worth even less
than the current "president" of the USA.
Anybody with a brain attached to the body would have fled the country.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »

And sitting Presidents?

The law should apply equally to EVERYONE.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »

Well anybody who knows a little bit about the Polanski case knows that the
so-called "law" in LA at the time (i.e. a certain judge) of his "trial" was worth even less
than the current "president" of the USA.
Anybody with a brain attached to the body would have fled the country.

I am not focusing on his fleeing, but on his horrific crime of drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 02:45:48 AM »

Speaking about Harvey Weinstein, here is what Mike shared on Facebook: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/robert-rodriguez-rose-mcgowan-harvey-weinstein-1202600946/

It all sound too over the top to be true but I think I believe every single word of it anyway.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4831131/five-more-women-come-forward-to-accuse-disgraced-movie-director-roman-polanski-of-sexual-assault/

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »

I still haven't read anything about RR defending Louis CK, which is a bit worrying.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »

FREE LOUIS! FREE LOUIS!!!

Horace and Pete = his final masterpiece?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

Nah, he'll be back at some point.

Even FX wants him back: "Now isn't the time for Louis CK to make a TV show."

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:49:48 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »

When are we gonna start hearing complaints from all the women D&D has fondled and dropped? Are we really supposed to believe there were no hard feelings at all??

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »

When are we gonna start hearing complaints from all the women D&D has fondled and dropped? Are we really supposed to believe there were no hard feelings at all??

You’ll have to wait until I win my first Oscar. Then the floodgates will open. If you want to rush the process, n_l can cast me in his next film ...  Evil

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »

Meanwhile, looks like another tarnished Hollywood figure is back

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-hollywood-decided-mel-gibson-was-safe-again-1510250284
When Hollywood Decided Mel Gibson Was Safe Again
Erich Schwartzel and Ben Fritz
The Wall Street Journal

Last Sunday, a little more than 11 years after the obituary for his career was written, Mel Gibson stepped out of a black SUV to a crowd of fans screaming his name.

Once persona non grata in Hollywood for making anti-Semitic, racist and misogynistic remarks, Mr. Gibson walked the red carpet for his first starring role in a major studio movie in 15 years with “Daddy’s Home 2,” Paramount Pictures’ sequel to the family-friendly 2015 hit. It opens Friday.

In February, Mr. Gibson attended the Academy Awards as a nominee for best director for the war movie “Hacksaw Ridge.” After seven years without an agent, he signed in January with Creative Artists Agency, a prestigious home for Hollywood talent. And Warner Bros. considered him to direct “Suicide Squad 2,” a big budget superhero sequel that’s as mainstream as the movie industry gets.

For Mr. Gibson, the 61-year-old star known for “Braveheart” and “The Passion of the Christ,” it’s almost as if the past 11 years never happened.

Such a turnaround was unfathomable in 2006, when the actor’s anti-Semitic remarks led his industry to shun him. Superagent Ari Emanuel called for a boycott of the actor, saying, “There are times in history when standing up against bigotry and racism is more important than money.”

Several major actors’, directors’ and producers’ reputations have recently cratered following allegations of sexual harassment and assault. Meanwhile, Mr. Gibson—once a pariah—is experiencing a career revitalization. Sunday’s premiere followed 11 years of work on the fringes of the mainstream entertainment industry, rebuilding his reputation with what associates describe as a newfound humility and relying on the support of friend Jodie Foster to help secure the “Daddy’s Home 2” role.

Talent agents, stars and studio chiefs are trying to discern the half-life of the radioactivity now tainting other disgraced figures—a calculation Mr. Gibson and his associates had to make time and again over the years.

A spokesman for Mr. Gibson said the actor wasn’t available for comment.

Mr. Gibson’s downfall began in 2006, when his Lexus was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy for driving 87 miles an hour, nearly double the speed limit. Mr. Gibson, who had an open bottle of tequila in the car and a blood-alcohol rate well above the legal limit, told the deputy: “The Jews are responsible for all of the wars in the world.”

The statements caused an uproar and Mr. Gibson immediately lost projects. At the time, he described the incident as “despicable behavior.” He pleaded no contest to the charge and received probation.

Since his arrival in Hollywood in the 1980s, Mr. Gibson had been a top box-office draw in franchises like “Lethal Weapon” and hits like “What Women Want.” As a director, he had even more success, winning best-picture and best-director Oscars for 1995’s “Braveheart” and creating “The Passion of the Christ,” a 2004 biblical drama that grossed $612 million world-wide.

Following his arrest, Mr. Gibson met with Jewish leaders and apologized. Hollywood would have none of it. “Obscurity would be the most fitting punishment for the man,” read an editorial in the Los Angeles Times.

Mr. Gibson disappeared for a long stretch, not popping up until 2010 in “Edge of Darkness,” an action thriller financed by independent backers that collected $81 million world-wide, a respectable sum but hardly the windfall many of his previous films had generated.

Any goodwill the movie created was wiped out that July, when a recording leaked of a phone call between Mr. Gibson and his then-girlfriend, Oksana Grigorieva. On the call, Mr. Gibson says if Ms. Grigorieva were “raped by a pack of n-----s,” she would be to blame. Mr. Gibson’s agent at William Morris Endeavor dropped the actor. He also pleaded no contest to a charge of misdemeanor battery of Ms. Grigorieva and was placed on probation.

“It’s one terribly, awful moment in time, said to one person, in the span of one day and doesn’t represent what I truly believe or how I’ve treated people my entire life,” Mr. Gibson said in an interview following the leak.

One year later, Jodie Foster cast him in a movie she was directing, “The Beaver.” The drama, about a depressed man trying to get his life back on track with the help of a beaver puppet, flopped.

Direct-to-video B-movies—Hollywood’s equivalent of the bush leagues—were about all the actor could do, since he was too tainted for a major studio to touch.

After director Robert Rodriguez cast him in the 2013 sequel “Machete Kills,” studios in the U.S. and abroad said they didn’t want a Mel Gibson movie.

“There were a number of countries where the CEOs of the companies were so upset with whatever he said, whether it be about women or Jews, they would just refuse the movie,” said “Machete Kills” producer Sergei Bespalov.

In the U.S., “Machete Kills” ended up going to the small independent studio Open Road Films. It grossed $8 million domestically, less than a third of the original’s gross.

But Mr. Gibson’s most crucial move in saving his career came last year, when he moved back behind the camera. He directed “Hacksaw Ridge,” the World War II drama about a conscientious objector persecuted for his beliefs.

Mainstream Hollywood studios still wouldn’t touch the disgraced star. Producer Bill Mechanic said he cobbled together a $42 million budget from sales to foreign distributors, private financiers and a tax credit from Australia, where the movie was shot.

“Mel was always the right guy,” Mr. Mechanic said. “Especially because the movie was about forgiveness and acceptance.”

In the U.S., independent studio Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. agreed to release “Hacksaw,” but only through a deal where it didn’t invest any money.

But when the movie succeeded at the box office and earned Mr. Gibson his Oscar nomination, he became palatable to a wider swath of Hollywood.

CAA signed Mr. Gibson in January, after some internal debate. Agents felt confident Mr. Gibson had redeemed himself personally and was once one of Hollywood’s most in-demand directors, a person close to the agency said.

For “Daddy’s Home 2,” Mr. Gibson hadn’t been on Paramount’s radar for the role of an estranged grandfather who tries to reconcile his relationship with his son, played by Mark Wahlberg. But the movie’s writers, Sean Anders and John Morris, thought Mr. Gibson was perfect for the part: He was believably intimidating, rough around the edges but still able to charm, Mr. Anders said.

Before the duo approached Mr. Gibson, they looked into his rehabilitation efforts. Mr. Anders read an interview with Ms. Foster in which the well-regarded actress vouched for him. Mr. Gibson has publicly apologized for the outbursts, but most of his career rehabilitation efforts have occurred behind the scenes. Mr. Anders said the outbursts didn’t come up with the actor when they discussed his “Daddy’s Home 2” hiring. “He knows. We know,” he said.

Paramount executives endorsed the idea in part because of the success of “Hacksaw,” said a person close to the studio.

In “Daddy’s Home 2,” Mr. Gibson riffs on his former Hollywood persona as the coarse foil to John Lithgow’s goody-two-shoes grandpa. Mr. Gibson’s Kurt is a womanizer who tells dead-prostitute jokes to children, teaches a young girl to shoot a rifle and offers his grandson the following advice on what to do after kissing a crush: “Smack her on the caboose and tell her what a lucky girl she is.”

Heather Marsee, a 34-year-old stay-at-home mom in Imperial, Mo., loved the first “Daddy’s Home” but is skipping the sequel.

“Mel Gibson is a racist anti-Semite. I refuse to watch any movie involving him,” she said.

But in one telling sign, the value of Mr. Gibson’s signature has rebounded after plummeting following his arrest.

His autograph sells for about $350 these days, said one Los Angeles-based dealer at the “Daddy’s Home 2” premiere. Mr. Wahlberg’s goes for about $50.

Before the premiere, “I had a ton of people begging me for Mel,” the dealer said. “A lot of America is forgiving.”

Write to Erich Schwartzel at erich.schwartzel@wsj.com and Ben Fritz at ben.fritz@wsj.com

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

Afro

They are probably waiting until he's got some money.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »

You’ll have to wait until I win my first Oscar. Then the floodgates will open. If you want to rush the process, n_l can cast me in his next film ...  Evil

If I don't cast you in my next film, I guarantee you I'll direct the film they'll write about your downfall.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »

If I don't cast you in my next film, I guarantee you I'll direct the film they'll write about your downfall.

I can’t have a “downfall” before I’m on top  Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM