Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 12, 2024, 01:39:31 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Call Me Duke
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Call Me Duke  ( 6733 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : June 19, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »

The second Herschel Goldberg's novel is better than the first. At least I read it at a sitting. The book is divided into two parts but strangely, though the second part starts after a 7 year stretch of the protagonist in Sing Sing, they bear the same temporal headline: "1937". (I have read the paperback so they probably made some mistake republishing it). I won't go into the details of the plot, a real pulp story with fast action and the typical telegraphic style we know from The Hoods, action set in mainly Harlem, with some escapade into the Bronx .It may be of interest to those who like the novel and the movie that one character's name is Lawrence Mortimer Goldberg. Also, Noodles enters the scene in the last fifth of the story, looking for the 4 trunks. He dies (killed by some members of the Combination) and the trunks are found by the protagonist but...

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1 : June 20, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

Why not?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 22, 2013, 05:09:32 AM »

So this time you read it through. Good.

gabriele.723
Chicken Thief

« #3 : April 19, 2024, 06:19:33 AM »

I haven't read it but I did get "Portrait of a mobster" a few years ago.. quite enjoyable but that proves Harry's never been anything else but a restaurateur and a writer, let alone a small-time mobster in the Prohibition days, not even a minor one.. I think protecting his identity and requesting secrecy during his meetings with Leone was all part of the act.

At best he crossed paths with some of the big shots when he ran his grocery business and dealt with food storage dockyward facilities in the 30s/40s, as the Palm Springs dedication states, and he got infatuated with the world he was eye-witnessing, but hardly other than that.

I don't think ANYTHING from the Hoods is real, nor the televised arrest of Max in the 70s Leone mentioned I did read about (does anyone remember it?)

Max never existed, and David Aaronson likely was how he asked Leone to name his character in the screenplay

Also, he didn't write The Hoods while doing time in Sing Sing.. he was actually recovering from an accident in California.. I think he tricked all of us xx

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #4 : April 19, 2024, 09:28:15 AM »

So he is - in fact - Fat Moe? :)

P.S. Welcome to the boards. ;)

gabriele.723
Chicken Thief

« #5 : April 19, 2024, 09:38:53 AM »

Thanks mate

Yeah, kind of Fat Moe, unless I'm wrong..

How about that Chris guy who did so much research on Harry Goldberg ten years ago? Did he leave the board?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #6 : April 19, 2024, 11:48:06 AM »

I haven't read it but I did get "Portrait of a mobster" a few years ago.. quite enjoyable but that proves Harry's never been anything else but a restaurateur and a writer, let alone a small-time mobster in the Prohibition days, not even a minor one..

Also, he didn't write The Hoods while doing time in Sing Sing.. he was actually recovering from an accident in California.. I think he tricked all of us xx
Could you expand on this? What exactly does the proof consist of?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
gabriele.723
Chicken Thief

« #7 : April 19, 2024, 03:13:48 PM »

I meant.. Harry Goldberg wrote three novels, all of them on the same subject matter; he acts like he knew the underworld but he takes it on as an author, not somebody who was directly involved into it, which makes sense as all the stuff from The Hood sounds like a pile of trash copypasted from 40s/50s noir movies, and confirms Leone's intuition also, which is that most of the stories were totally fictionalized (besides the childhood ones).

Therefore, we must assume Harry asking for secrecy was part of the act; and, if you want to cover up your identity you won't barely change your last name, there's no such a big difference between Harry Goldberg and Harry Grey, right?

He probably knew a lot about that world by reading about it in the newspapers, keeping an ear on the streets of NYC and of course he met a lot of people while running a grocery business, even mobsters themselves, he breathed in the same environment those gangsters were living in, and/or maybe he might've had a friend who has been involved in that life and took it as an inspiration to base the book on (I highly doubt the latter, but still..)

I browsed through every topic in this board and there's not a single record from Sing Sing, would anyone living in the US be able to look into it? Anyway my bet is he's never been there..

You've been able to find multiple census records on him, his Palm Springs dedication, his obituary but nothing about a prison record.

*sorry for my English, I?m from Italy ^^

« : April 20, 2024, 06:23:21 AM gabriele.723 »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #8 : April 19, 2024, 05:13:40 PM »

Don't worry, you are most persuasive.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
gabriele.723
Chicken Thief

« #9 : April 20, 2024, 06:26:36 AM »

The funny thing is that the supposedly real-life gangster Harry Goldberg also serves as a character for this novel, where Duke tries to get for himself the fortune that Noodles the Hood had hidden away.. could this be another pointer that The Hoods was purely fictional?

« : April 20, 2024, 07:49:10 AM gabriele.723 »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10 : April 20, 2024, 07:25:07 AM »

The funny thing is that the supposedly real-life gangster Harry Goldberg also serves as a character for this novel, where Duke tries to to get for himself the fortune that Noodles the Hood had hidden away.. could this be another pointer that The Hoods was purely fictional?
Hmm, you are definitely on to something.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #11 : April 20, 2024, 10:50:47 AM »

I meant.. Harry Goldberg wrote three novels, all of them on the same subject matter; he acts like he knew the underworld but he takes it on as an author, not somebody who was directly involved into it, which makes sense as all the stuff from The Hood sounds like a pile of trash copypasted from 40s/50s noir movies, and confirms Leone's intuition also, which is that most of the stories were totally fictionalized (besides the childhood ones).

Therefore, we must assume Harry asking for secrecy was part of the act; and, if you want to cover up your identity you won't barely change your last name, there's no such a big difference between Harry Goldberg and Harry Grey, right?

He probably knew a lot about that world by reading about it in the newspapers, keeping an ear on the streets of NYC and of course he met a lot of people while running a grocery business, even mobsters themselves, he breathed in the same environment those gangsters were living in, and/or maybe he might've had a friend who has been involved in that life and took it as an inspiration to base the book on (I highly doubt the latter, but still..)

I browsed through every topic in this board and there's not a single record from Sing Sing, would anyone living in the US be able to look into it? Anyway my bet is he's never been there..

You've been able to find multiple census records on him, his Palm Springs dedication, his obituary but nothing about a prison record.

More or less that always was the consensus among us here, and among others who loved and/or researched the story/movie. It is only debatable - until further new informations (if ever) pop out - to which extent he was an active participant.

I doubt he was a complete bust, the more I think about it the more I think it was a patchwork from different sources.

About Sing-Sing: I kinda doubt anyone can go sniffing through their books/databases, unless he's (officially) writing something or conducting some sort of research/investigation. These are private matters.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines