Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:16:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  don't drink don't drink
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: don't drink don't drink  (Read 5906 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »

A question from Imdb.

By haggismanl (Sat Sep 19 2009 10:12:20)

My whole life, I've always wondered this, after seeing the movie 100 times. Why does Tuco always tell the dying men (and I think a dying Eastwood at some point) not to drink the water when they are parched in the desert? He always puts it on their lips but says "Don't drink, its not good for you!"

I know you can die of shock if you drink COLD water when over-heated, but the water in his canteen has to be warm as hell. Are you not supposed to give water to people dying from dehydration for some reason? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me! Anyone know?

It was perhaps common pioneer/desert traveler knowledge back then, on a quick search I found this:

Increase water consumption slowly - drinking water too fast will increase nausea.

Nausea and vomiting will deplete fluids even further.

Treating severe dehydration

Children and adults who are severely dehydrated should be treated by emergency personnel arriving in an ambulance or in a hospital emergency room, where they can receive salts and fluids through a vein (intravenously) rather than by mouth. Intravenous hydration provides the body with water and essential nutrients much more quickly than oral solutions do something that's essential in life-threatening situations.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:27:08 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »

Is it even possible someone doesn't know about that?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »

I guess not.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »

It was a rhetorical question. Wink

It's something so essential you'd think everybody in the 21st century would know it, but then again I give that guy the credit for (finally) asking. There are plenty of far more horrifying examples of ignorance to be found in real life. For example, I've heard more than once of people that didn't wanna come close to a car after a car crash. They thought it could explode anytime.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:23:46 PM by Hordak » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

I did some Internet sleuthing and found that a certain Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez graduated 37th in the Harvard Medical class of 1858......that's how he knew....

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:38:43 AM »

I had no idea about this either.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »

what I always assumed is that initially, Tuco didn't really want Blondie to live; he just wanted to keep him alive long enough to get the name of the grave out of him. So as soon as Tuco finds out that Blondie knows the name, he runs to get him the water, rubs it on Blondie's face and tells him not to drink, and then asks Blondie to tell him the name. I thought he was hoping to keep Blondie refreshed for a few minutes until he could get the name out of him. It was only when he realized that Blondie would never tell him the name, that he decided to save his life

but there are definitely a lot of basic medical information that seems counter-intuitive and most people don't know about because they've had no reason to learn it. Like if someone is stabbed with a knife or any other object, the worst thing he could do is to remove it; they're supposed to call for medical help but don't touch the knife; removing it could cause them to die; it can only be removed by trained medical personnel. I don't even think an EMT or medic would remove it; only a doctor. But of course, you see in so many movies that people will remove the object, and 90% of the time when you tell this to someone, they are surprised to hear it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »

When I was little, I had this high fever and my  mum thought it would've been good to give me a cold bath only to find that it made the fever worse [my temp. when down temporarily only to shoot back up, and cause me to shiver uncontrollably] and the next day the doctor said something like "cold bath keeps the heat in, a warm bath takes the heat out" and I remember telling my friends and some adults this and they wouldn't believe me. I actually haven't tried having a warm bath whilst having a fever yet so I'm not sure if it's true.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:52:32 PM by Senza » Logged

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »

Yeah, the knife would serve to plug the hole somewhat and help keep the blood in.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »

or just do what Rambo does - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YoHcIFKKi4

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM