Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:45:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fury at Furnace Creek (1948)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fury at Furnace Creek (1948)  (Read 1535 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »

Dir Bruce Humberstone with Victor Mature, Coleen Gray, Glenn Langan, Reginald Gardiner, Albert Dekker, Charles Kemper, a good little noir-ish Western by the same director that did "I wake Up Screaming" a nice balance of outdoor locations with interior and town sets and a good story with a love interest that doesn't intrude. Worth renting from Netflix 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

I'd be less generous, a 6\10 seems more in order. There are two not rhyming elements, CJ.

1) the dispatch received by the Captain as he leads the convoy contains the orders we are later told were not those really issued by the General. Still they were carried to the Captain by a Army messenger and there's a close-up of the message itself which reads clear and the Captain is not making up anything. So? And how could the Captain foresee he would have received a dispatch while on march so to allow him to make up bogus orders?

2) The tranformation in very little time of the Captain (one who was leading troops against Apaches) in a drunk and a coward it's too fast and doesn't persuade me at all. This is the very weak link of the story, which is rather trivial.

The movie thrives on a rather fast rhythm (the first part, before Mature's entrance, is very good) and that's about all. Very cute girl.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »

I missed that, might have to watch it again,  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »

6/10 seems right. Looks OK and has some entertaining characters/episodes but doesn't offer much besides that.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM