Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 01:41:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ravenous (1999)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ravenous (1999)  (Read 1524 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129332/

Hmm, I guess horror and Western don't mix together that well after all, but I remember liking this better the first two times I saw it. The screenplay of Ravenous is supposedly partially based on two real life stories of cannibalism: the story of the Donner Party and the story of Alferd Packer, and mixed together with the compatible Indian myth of Wendigo. Of the two real life stories I know very little, only things I've overheard, about the myth of Wendigo I know enough to say they merely scratched the surface. That's probably this movie's major malfunction; you can't have a screenplay drawing ideas from an ancient myth and not show the main protagonist in his full glory, especially while advertising the movie as a horror. A couple of gruesome moments here and there and that's it, no Wendigo, no thrills, no paranormal occurrences. On the top of that having barely a few gunshots (wasted) in the first 1/3 of the movie. On the other hand, it may not be necessary, especially when they can fight with swords, knives and pitchforks.

Interesting and unusual enough to hold your attention the first time you're watching it. Directed by a woman. (Cheesy)

6.4/10

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:05:07 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »

I saw this years ago. Not my cup of tea if I recall correctly.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »

Yeah, it is kinda like a cup of tea with milk. They should have went for either the tea or the milk, not a clumsy mix like this.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:13 AM »

I liked it a lot more this time around: I raise my rating to 7.5/10.

Very nicely shot and acted, interesting locations and sets, the story could have had a head or two more but what can we do.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM