Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:01:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Land Raiders (1969)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Land Raiders (1969)  (Read 1625 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »

Dir by Nathan Juran, Land Raiders stars Greek actors Telly Savalas and George Maharis,  with Arlene Dahl,  Janet Landgard, Guy Rolfe,, Paul Picerni, Phil Brown, George Coulouris, among others. a Euro Western shot in Hungary & Spain.

Savalas just does not belong in Westerns all I see is Telly Savalas, he's not that believable and really can't pull it off very well, the best Westerns I've seen him in are The Scalphunters and Pancho Villa and they aren't the cream of the crop. I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch another.

I had to watch this one twice I kept falling asleep.

Its basic story is evil Savalas is paying bounty on the scalps of Apaches in order to take over more land for his ranch, Maharis his brother has lost his love and wanders about making love to beautiful senoritas and doing something, what I can't quite put a finger on probably because I fell asleep again, lol. Its got some bloody scalping sequences and cavalry vs native sequences but LIKE EVERY EURO OR SPAGHETTI WESTERN I've seen where they involve Native Americans they get it WRONG. Here they have Apaches looking like Sioux AGAIN and have them living in typical Plains Indian tipis. Apaches lived traditionally in GRASS HUTS.

The best feature of this film is the score by Bruno Nicolai.

Skip this one, BABY.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:52:28 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »

You dare rip the Kojak...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:06 AM »

He really can't play a convincing 19th century man, lol, sort of like Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford, Joey Bishop of the Rat Pack only Dean Martin could do it,  simple Wink

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:09:31 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »

It was probably more a matter of charisma and looks rather than acting ability or versatility. I think he was one of those guys everybody loved watching but rare few would put a penny on him being a good actor. lol, which he (probably) wasn't anyway. I was just joking anyway.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:26:35 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »

I think Maharis is the weak link here. He can't even start to think he can stand up to Savalas. Who may not look the part but he owns the screen, draws your attention to him even if the screenplay (and the spanishy indians) put you to sleep. Still I found this fun to watch and the death of Savalas (memorable) made me suspect I might have watched this in a theatre. 7\10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM