Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2018, 12:49:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Christmas and New Year Classics
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 8
: Christmas and New Year Classics  ( 18652 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« : November 28, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »

****Combined with kjrwe's post****

So, here we are, December is near, one needs to get ready: I want to hear your favorite C/NY titles. I hope some less known but nevertheless noteworthy titles will pop every now and then, to make it more interesting. Short review/opinion and rating required.

« : December 10, 2017, 04:05:09 AM cigar joe »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #1 : November 28, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »

It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Haven't seen Miracle of 34th Street I regret to say.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #2 : November 28, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »

A Christmas Carol (1999)

Although made for TV this far from flawless rendering of Charles Dickens' masterpiece is my favorite. Patrick Stewart, cast into a sea of lesser-known faces, gives a very good performance. Unfortunately the low imaginativeness and unwillingness to transcend the pretty basic re-staging of the original material, just as the mediocre production values that leave a lot to be desired, don't help him much in his quest. I'd still recommend it as a very good C/NY movie.

7.5/10

« : December 09, 2009, 01:18:41 AM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3 : November 28, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »

I like The Fountainhead and I, the Jury. Both bring tears to my eyes with every viewing.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #4 : November 28, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »

A Christmas Carol (1984)

Funny, I didn't know this was also made for TV back in the 80s. From the technical point of view it's better than the 1999 version, though not nearly as good in the acting department, not to even talk about the vitality and credibility of the characters. Again, the variations are set to a bare minimum, it could be the respect the screenwriters had for Dickens' work... Except I don't buy it for a second. (>:D) I'm usually a sucker for George C. Scott but here he seems too disinterested for what is going on to be a great Ebenezer Scrooge.

Somewhere around 6.5/10, maybe a little higher. But only a little.

P.S. The late Edward Woodward plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.

« : November 28, 2009, 01:10:45 PM Dust Devil »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5 : November 28, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »

Odd that people would note the '99 and '84 versions of A Christmas Carol and not even mention the best-loved adaptation of the story, Scrooge (51) with Alistair Sim.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #6 : November 28, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »

I've had most of the versions in mind for some time now, if lucky, I'm gonna watch most of them in the next month or so and post a short review here, one at the time. Scrooge I caught only once on TV years ago and for some reason didn't think much of it, hopefully this time I'll watch it more carefully and find out why, or reverse my opinion. Feel free to contribute.

« : November 28, 2009, 01:17:35 PM Dust Devil »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #7 : November 28, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »

A Christmas Carol (1984)

Funny, I didn't know this was also made for TV back in the 80s. From the technical point of view it's better than the 1999 version, though not nearly as good in the acting department, not to even talk about the vitality and credibility of the characters. Again, the variations are set to a bare minimum, it could be the respect the screenwriters had for Dickens' work... Except I don't buy it for a second. (>:D) I'm usually a sucker for George C. Scott but here he seems too disinterested for what is going on to be a great Ebenezer Scrooge.

Somewhere around 6.5/10, maybe a little higher. But only a little.

P.S. The late Edward Woodward plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.

I remember this being my favorite Christmas Carol adaptation but I haven't seen it in years.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #8 : November 28, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »

Odd that people would note the '99 and '84 versions of A Christmas Carol and not even mention the best-loved adaptation of the story, Scrooge (51) with Alistair Sim.

"No one" mentioned the Muppets either.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #9 : November 29, 2009, 02:37:12 AM »

"No one" mentioned the Muppets either.

Aside from Mickey's Christmas Carol I think the Muppets one is one of the first I've seen.
I managed to see the new one with Jim Carrey.
Oddly enough, I found it to be one of the few of the CCs I've seen that is really close to Dicken's story (I.E. it's a horror/ghost story).
All the material that isn't in the novel (an overlong chase sequence during the Third act) is something I could have certainly done without but nonetheless, it's probably the best adaption in the past two decades.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

« #10 : November 29, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »

It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Haven't seen Miracle of 34th Street I regret to say.

I second both of those, yet I must also admit to lacking basic Christmas film knowledge. I don't think I've ever sat through a whole adaptation of A Christmas Story.

When I was younger I used to watch The Santa Clause with Tim Allen, but over time I've grown to believe that it doesn't have what I used to see in it. Granted Tim Allen has some skill as a comedian (Home Improvement is still some fun as a light sit-com), and there are some humorous bits in The Santa Clause, but the whole effect has just dulled down for me in so many ways. And the sequels sure as fuck didn't help (although I didn't watch the third because I considered that doing so, especially after the atrocious second, was below my dignity).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #11 : November 29, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »

Blackadder's Christmas Carol from 1988 should also be a treat.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #12 : November 29, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

Blackadder's Christmas Carol from 1988 should also be a treat.

Oh God yes. That's perhaps the best one yet, I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at anything as my first viewing of that. I think one can find it on YouTube.

For those of you who are into MST3K, Santa Claus and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians ("Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!") are must-see.

« : November 29, 2009, 02:02:55 PM Groggy »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13 : November 29, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »

I second both of those, yet I must also admit to lacking basic Christmas film knowledge. I don't think I've ever sat through a whole adaptation of A Christmas Story.

When I was younger I used to watch The Santa Clause with Tim Allen, but over time I've grown to believe that it doesn't have what I used to see in it. Granted Tim Allen has some skill as a comedian (Home Improvement is still some fun as a light sit-com), and there are some humorous bits in The Santa Clause, but the whole effect has just dulled down for me in so many ways. And the sequels sure as fuck didn't help (although I didn't watch the third because I considered that doing so, especially after the atrocious second, was below my dignity).

I didn't like The Santa Clause that much as a kid who liked Home Improvement. As an adult I find it insufferable.

If it's appropriate here I'll also note my hatred of Scrooged with Bill Murray. Although it has some funny individual bits (eg. Robert Mitchum and Lee Majors' cameos, Carol Kane as Christmas Present) it's mostly flat, dull and by-the-numbers. And the whiny, preachy closing speech about the true meaning of Christmas goes on for way too long, is far more annoying than touching, and completely destroyed any lingering goodwill I had towards the film.

stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

« #14 : November 29, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »

Oh God yes. That's perhaps the best one yet, I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at anything as my first viewing of that. I think one can find it on YouTube.

For those of you who are into MST3K, Santa Claus and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians ("Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!") are must-see.

Holy crap, how could I forget MST3K? Classic stuff, that episode. I still joke about that one with my relatives. And I can still remember some of the details: footage that was also used in Dr. Strangelove; a guy in a pathetic polar bear suit; and the classic line "It is the middle of Septober."

: [1] 2 3 ... 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines