Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 20, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Grande Sertão (1965)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grande Sertão (1965)  (Read 969 times)

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »

Another great Brazilian western with lots of action and an interesting plot.

The movie is based on the novel from J. Guimarães Rosa Grande Sertão (The devil to pay in the backlands)

which I haven't read but I would like to do at some point. Unfortunately, the movie is in Portuguese with no subs, and the copy I have is quite old. Though I read and normally understand Portuguese fairly well, I had a great difficulty following the dialogs, probably due to the poor condition of the sound track. So I watched the movie second time after reading about the plot on these two links

and the, even if the movie deviates quite a bit from the book, I found it much easier to follow. For details about the movie, please read the above links.

There is quite a disturbing scene for today's politically correct times, where we can see a few horses being shot at and killed by the bad jagunços. Somehow, I don't believe the scene was staged and I believe the horses wer actually killed in front of the camera. Nevertheless, I found the movie in general quite good, with excellent cinematography, great acting, intrigue, and lots of action. If you find a copy around, try to watch it and, if you cannot understand the dialogs, try reading the plot first in the two links I provided above or do your own search in Google.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: