Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:02:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Run for the Sun (1956)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Run for the Sun (1956)  (Read 1292 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »

Dir. Roy Boulting. Starring Richard Widmark and Jane Greer.

The narrative feels more like a compressed version of three features than an adventure film, but it works well enough. Though the film gets really dumb by act three: serious logic issues. The pacing is really impressive, entertaining throughout. But the ending makes the last 5 mins of a Macgyver episode seem plausible.

It's always nice to see Jane Greer in something worthy and I'm a big fan of Widmark, so I'd give this a 7-8; but I doubt most would be as generous because the movie unravels in act three. The first two acts could be potentially be great remakes. There is also a questionable decision made by Widmark's character that some my not agree with. It's a great scene, so I don't punish it too much.

The score is standard stuff but the set design has aged very well, nice location and interior design.

There is a respectable transfer streaming on youtube as I type this--thought the audio is a bit out of synch--it's not distracting though. It's definitely worth a look for those who haven't seen it. There are some very good moments

And can anyone recommend me any old hollywood adventure films that are preferably shot in technicolor with a jungle/exotic setting? I'm looking mostly for B movies, not obvious stuff like The African Queen or noirs set in foreign lands: Macao, Beat the Devil, etc. Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:01:43 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »

The Naked Prey (1966)  Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »

Yeah, this pales to stuff like 'Prey' and Walkabout. RftS is just a fun, flawed, quick paced adventure movie.

*lol forgot that I added a recommendation part. I've seen that movie a while back but you reminded me that I need to re-watch it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:56:42 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »

I'm a bit surprised this has a topic of its own, to be honest.

It's an entertaining enough fast-paced exotic adventure, but 6.5/10 is its height as far as the rating goes (from my part). Jane Greer is the best here, Widmark I never really cared much about, Howard seems misused and disinterested, Peter van Eyck has little character motivation (I mean, he's a Nazi, what am I talking about) or screen time. Some nice locations and sets.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM