Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:38:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Deadwood" (2004-2006)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Deadwood" (2004-2006)  (Read 25039 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2004, 04:59:51 PM »

Anybody catch this HBO western?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 09:16:55 AM »

I saw it, was pretty good.  First episode of anything is usually pretty sluggish as they introduce all the characters.  The saloon owner is really good, Ian McShane - he was great in Sexy Beast too.  He can give AngelEyes a run for his money for nastiness!

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 05:01:15 AM »

Did you notice if Wild Bill was using cap & ball Colts? He never upgraded to cartridge ammo.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 05:17:04 AM »

Don't know, he hasn't pumped anyone full of lead yet - but he's getting close.  

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 05:24:34 AM »

when he stops whittling i think somethings gonna happen.

deMaie
Chicken Thief

Just saw myself in a Lucky Luke comics, I'm scary

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 06:53:20 PM »

Hi guys
I like it. With the second episode showed, some lose
ends and character traits are defined now. I really
like everything I saw up to now.
The Doc's cabin is mindblowing in details.

Smitty
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 02:23:53 PM »

love this show. some episodes drag a little (lots of different directors), but overall good. most of the characters are very well rounded.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 05:49:02 AM »

Second season of Deadwood starts soon - HBO is repeating last season currently.  If you didn''t catch this the first time around you should check it out, very cool show.  Ian McShane is magnificent, as is William Sanderson as F.B. Farnum - they give Farnum some of the best dialog ever written for television and his delivery is perfect.  (fyi -William Sanderson was also great in Blade Runner, he was  the oddly wrinkled guy who was the proud creator of Rutger Hauer.  He then gets him in to see the big boss at corporate HQ).

The show has its slow moments, but overall its excellent television.  Highly, highly recommend it to people on this site.

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 05:58:30 AM »

Sanderson is more famous as

"Hi. My name Larry. This is my brother Darryl. And this is my other brother Darryl."

Of NEWHART show

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 07:51:24 AM »

I don''t have HBO  Embarrassed but I''ll be awaiting the DVD''s for the first season.  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 05:53:12 AM »

Don't have HBO so I finnaly saw the first two programs of this series on the DVD set that just came out.

I think Leone would have enjoyed it, its very realistic and the sets have a lot of detail, the scenery is what is actually does look like around the Black Hills of South Dakota, ponderosa pines and steppe-grass slopes with cottowood bottoms. 

Ian McShane is great as the town boss Swearingen.

Its a very character & dialogue driven story and of course not at all Iconic, even Wild Bill and Calamaty Jane come off as human, this is the big difference between it and Leone. You get the impression in the back of your mind that if Joe, Manco, Blondie, Mortimer, Angle Eyes, Indio or Tuco would have ridden into town they could eat any of these characters for breakfast. Which is ok because they in a way compliment each other.

Its like you get one long backstory of a particular western town, which most probably was the same for all wide open mining towns, logging and cowtowns throughout the west. It reminds you of both "Gangs of New York" and "McCabe & Mrs. Miller".  Its definitely gritty and entertaining and I recomend it.

There is a lot of violence, a bit of nudity so far with the bordello ladies, and a lot of cursing so those of you who have problems with anything like this be forewarned.  They have a way of making corpses diappear by feeding them to the pigs, very cool, just don't eat any Chinese fried pork, lol.

Bill Carson
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 08:55:08 AM »

Cool  I've heard about this series. apparently the 'C' word is used a lot?  what's Ian 'Lovejoy' Mcshane like in it ?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 03:55:19 PM »

I've heard about this series. apparently the 'C' word is used a lot?  what's Ian 'Lovejoy' Mcshane like in it ?

"C" word "S" word "F" word, any word you can think of. Ian Mcshane is a great baddie, its sort of "Gangs of New York" meets the Wild West.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 07:32:50 AM »

Yup, with you there, cigar joe. I think its terrific!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Bill Carson
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 10:30:21 AM »

Cool Ok Cigar Joe and Belkin; if it gets your seal of approval I'll check it out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM