Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:03:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The First Dollars Film
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Dollars Film  (Read 6696 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »

No. I just consulted the index in Frayling and there's nothing about the title. There's quite a bit about the use of the music from Rio Bravo, but that's as far as it goes. Frayling doesn't appear to know what the Italian title was. Maybe the connection was established in some other source?

Thanks for the spelling correction. Can you believe those guys on the other poster got it wrong? Typical Italian efficiency, what?

Yeah, probably  on an italian source (De Fornari?), as it would be more natural to get hip to the connection.
About the spelling, it is strange because to an italian the first spelling would come quite innatural, though formally correct. I think it was the distributor who got it all wrong, but once he had the posters printed he didn't take any trouble to have them printed again for a (debatably) minor mistake. As you have noticed, the poster I posted bears the newer WB logo, which means it is the one used for the re-release of the movie in the late '70's (which is when I saw the movie the first time). I remember the poster was that one.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

I'm not an Italian speaker, but is it a misspelling or rather a variant way of writing it without the spoken elision? Maybe they decided to go with the elision later on?

No italian would ever write or pronounce the phrase without the elision. Or if some would, it would be an irrelevant minority: it sounds very innatural. And, after all, they took the trouble to change it, didn't they? I would be curious to know if the original credits bore the same misspelling, though I doubt it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »

I have no idea whether "His last dollar" by Griffith was ever released in Italy, let alone whether it ever had an italian title.
But one thing is for sure, Rio Bravo was released in Italy under the title "Un dollaro d'onore" late 1959 and it was a massive hit here. To the best of my knowledge, there was no other movie released in Italy after WW2  with the word dollar in the title which had such a great success as "Un dollaro d'onore".
So my bet is that whoever changed the title  from "The magnificent stranger" to "FOD",  must have thought about "Un dollaro d'onore". Last but not least, don't forget that Leone when discussing the soundtrack for FOD with Ennio, asked him to create a trumpet sound similar to the deguello in "Un dollaro d'onore" and "The Alamo" (score by Dimitri Tiomkin).

I think Frayling said that Leone initially actually wanted to use the very same De Guello as in Rio Bravo, cuz he thought it was the actual song the Mexicans played at the Alamo! Then, when he found out it was actually composed by Tiomkin for the movie, he asked Morricone to instead compose his own Mexican funeral dirge for the film

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM