Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:30:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Buster Keaton
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buster Keaton  (Read 2220 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »

I've just finished watching all his short silent movies. it's strange to notice how, after those shot with Arbuckle, more or less based on Sennett's kind of farce, Keaton was able to give us a debut masterpieces like Neighbours. The Goat is probably for the 2-reelers chase movies what The Battle of the Century is for custard throwing. I also liked The High Sign, Hard Luck and Cops. The Playhouse has the great minstrel show sequence. The Balloonatic and The Electric House are very good too. Keaton is much more various than Chaplin, but just as comic. Which means that, for pure laughter, he too is way behind  Laurel and Hardy. But  still way above any american comedian from the 40's onwards, Lewis included.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 06:11:19 PM by titoli » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »

He had a face worth a million bucks back in the days of silent cinema - telling you (the viewer) everything without actually telling anything - and ironically at the same time it was his ticket of no return when the sound came knocking on the doors of cinema.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »

He had a face worth a million bucks back in the days of silent cinema - telling you (the viewer) everything without actually telling anything - and ironically at the same time it was his ticket of no return when the sound came knocking on the doors of cinema.

Actually I didn't care so much about his face but rather about his phisicity (which is something that goes for all great comedians). I will have to see (again, after many years) his silent features and I have planned to see even some of his talkies. But I doubt that it was his face which made a difference. Actually I would rather consider it as an asset. The reasons for so many comedians not making it to the sound era can be different and sometime we take for granted some opinions delivered  by people who didn't have the chance (like we have) to watch the actual movies and read sources like interviews, articles, books and so on. Anyway, I'll be back on the matter after having watched the movies and reads some more by and about Keaton himself.   

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

Back in high school, between real subjects we used to have a planned free hour every now and then, meant just for relaxation. The idea was to have someone from the class presenting something about his hobby, and things like that. Ancient Egypt, comic books, music, etc. etc. Anyway, as you can guess easily it was all pretty lame, and one of those days a guy showed up to animate us by doing some magic tricks (the boyfriend of the school secretary, or something like that), and it was really fun and interesting, so the guy ended up coming back a couple of times. I remember he showed us many clips from Buster Keaton's movies, he was obviously high on him, I think he even compared his work with Chaplin's, arguing Keaton was a greater inventor and a much more prolific figure because his field of interest was much broader (magic tricks, manipulations of the screen logic, etc.). I do not know if this is true, although I've seen many of theirs movies as a kid I couldn't throw objective comparisons myself, but this guy had a lot of interesting stuff in his sleeves and now I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to what he was saying.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »

The Goat (1921) - 8/10

Yeah this is excellent, very dynamic and filled with his creativeness from start to finish. Huge moment when they take a photo of him instead of that bandit, and later the use of a flashback (!), plus he does a couple of times his signature move (?) - when he suddenly falls ahead to land on his elbows, you really have the feeling he broke every bone in his body.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »

The Goat (1921) - 8/10

Yeah this is excellent,

Neighbors is even better. And maybe the same goes for another two or three 2-reelers.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »

Sherlock Jr. 10\10 I'll have to rewatch some Chaplin's features to decide if he ever did something as perfect as this.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »

Our Hospitality - 8\10 The final chase is deją vu but the first 2\3 of the movie are delicious. This CJ must watch, hear me?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »

Our Hospitality - 8\10 The final chase is deją vu but the first 2\3 of the movie are delicious. This CJ must watch, hear me?

It will have to wait, leaving for Seattle & Montana Sunday.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »

It will have to wait, leaving for Seattle & Montana Sunday.

Always on the move. Angry

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »

The Saphead - This boosted K.'s career but he was just playing the leading part of a project with which he had little to do. 4\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

Steamboat Bill Jr. I give it  8\10 only because of the hurricane sequence.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »

College Not among the most original but surely among the funniest. Probably the best version of the nerd proving himself on the college athletic ground. 8\10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »

Seven Chances - An almost perfect movie, it has the best chase in a Keaton movie, i.e. in any movie. 9\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

Battling Butler - Like College, not a very original movie. Quite good, though not just as funny as the other movie. 7\10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM