Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 08:30:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lonely Are the Brave (1962)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lonely Are the Brave (1962)  (Read 4724 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056195/

I guess the story only makes sense if observed as an allegory, otherwise not only it's simple but it's also very illogical and, I have to say - dumb. John W. "Jack" Burns (Kirk Douglas) gets himself locked up in order to help an old friend who's sentenced to 2 years of imprisonment... You'd think he'd be risking his neck for someone who's going there for life or for at least a couple of decades, right? It would have been even more illogical if his buddy Paul (who as we saw has a family and, apparently, a life of some sort) actually did escape with him - where would they go? Run around the desert for the rest of their lives? Same thing with Jack's escape: he had nowhere to go.

Still, like I said, if you observe it as an allegory it shouldn't be a problem at all. It is in fact a very good movie. Kirk Douglas sort of pulls off a mixed bag of his usual stuff, nothing for movie history but makes the movie work. It is a one-man-show, of the rest only Walter Matthau is worth a positive mention, and George Kennedy a negative. Actually, speaking of the acting; the horse (a ''she'' ?) did a tremendous job, some of that falling-from-the-mountain stuff looks like 85% real, but wasn't even credited!

I usually don't have a problem with black and white Westerns but here I dare to say a lot of the colors of those piny mountain slopes were lost or sacrificed for nothing (thin budget?). It would have been more captivating if in color.

If there are like from 5 to 10 movies ever made that fit under the term ''Modern Western'', then this is one of them.

7.5 - 8 out of 10

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:07:19 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:46:22 AM »

A few stills:

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »

dustdevil, remember the constant shots of the truck driver ? where is this truck driver headed ? could he be headed down the highway of life to run over kirk dare say ?  Afro

i like this movie as well. how can you not like good old boy kirk bucking the sysem which is noble unless this damn truck is headed your way.  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onzqlL3rey8

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:56:25 PM by BTW » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »

Great movie, I need to see it again. It's been a while. I've learned that the best movies aren't always the most perfect. While it would have been better if the entire jail angle was tossed out, it's too charming and fun for me to really give a damn.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

I like it also  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »

dustdevil, remember the constant shots of the truck driver ? where is this truck driver headed ? could he be headed down the highway of life to run over kirk dare say ?  Afro

That truck was there the whole time yet I never suspected what was his role, at one point near the end I even forgot about it. I thought he might be carrying some news for our cowboy or something like that... The answer was obviously more simple than that, that's why I think the ending would have been more effective if shorter and more abruptly served; without any explanations.

The night, the rain, the wind, the road, the cowboy and his horse, truck around the corner - bang:

It's not a horrible ending; for instance I like the Sheriff's part. But funny, it reminded me a lot of The Outlaw Josey Wales: a mediocre Western with a great ending. Like the roles have been reversed here: great Western with a mediocre ending.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:47:56 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »

While it would have been better if the entire jail angle was tossed out, it's too charming and fun for me to really give a damn.

Well maybe not completely tossed out but it certainly would have done it a lot of good if handled with more logic, some logic at least. George Kennedy's character on the other hand... Was there any reason whatsoever for his character to be introduced in the movie? - Cause I honestly can't find it.

I've learned that the best - a lot of good - movies aren't always - necessarily - the most perfect.

If you agree - I agree.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:03:55 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:11 PM »

I like it also  Afro

What about the piny mountain slopes I mentioned: do you think they have been noticeably crippled by the black-and-white technique? Or am I exaggerating?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »

We'll it makes it all the more noir-ish, I think all that would have been jettisoned with the color. In color it would have been more of a "Bad Day At Black Rock" vibe to it which would have worked also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »

Well maybe not completely tossed out but it certainly would have done it a lot of good if handled with more logic, some logic at least. George Kennedy's character on the other hand... Was there any reason whatsoever for his character to be introduced in the movie? - Cause I honestly can't find it.

If you agree - I agree.

Yeah, it should have been re-worked. He helps his friend, which causes him to be pursued. I remember not liking that Douglas' character intentionally goes to jail and breaks out. Something more simple would be more effective.

I would consider OUATIA, The Searchers, Rio Bravo and Ace in the Hole some of the best movies I've ever seen and all four are flawed to some degree. But that's me.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

We'll it makes it all the more noir-ish, I think all that would have been jettisoned with the color. In color it would have been more of a "Bad Day At Black Rock" vibe to it which would have worked also.

Well it could be you're right. It doesn't look bad but in occasions it is slightly blank and monotonous. I guess it all depends on the color of those pines and other trees: if they're sunburned/yellowish then the color wouldn't have helped much, if they're green then it would have been quite a scenery if in color.

Hmm, I don't wanna sound like a regular nitpicker, but sometimes I just can't get passed those missing small ''attentions'' and ''technicalities'' that would have made the movie much greater in my book. I still like the movie, it's just that I was born with a over-critical and negative mind. I just can't help it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:35:24 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

I would consider OUATIA, The Searchers, Rio Bravo and Ace in the Hole some of the best movies I've ever seen and all four are flawed to some degree. But that's me.

We're 75% in agreement. Afro

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »

I can't imagine this in colour. The first part is too contrived and absurd. The movie really begins with Douglas's escape and, from that moment, it is a 10\10 movie. His performance while laying on the road, with those eyes wandering restlessly in search of the horse is probably the best thing I ever saw Douglas do. But still this is the first great Matthau performance. And Gena Rowlands is even attractive. 7\10

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:56 AM »

I always loved that film. It's Douglas favorite film and I'm happy about his taste.

1962 was such a rich year for westerns. Although the early 60's mark supposedly the
downfall of the US western (and the early beginnings of the next Generation Italian Style),
that year presented some of the best films of the 60's - most of the westerns, nothing less.
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, LIBERTY VALANCE, HUD & LONELY are contemporary stories but
somehow westerns nevertheless.

Great touching film, very well acted & directed. And brave too.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM