Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:08:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Day of the Evil Gun (1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day of the Evil Gun (1968)  (Read 2471 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »

Garfield pans this as very bad all over, at IMDB there are many voices praising it. Personally I give it a 8\10, possibly eben 9\10 were it not for minor complaints (the woman and the daughters still tied to the poles in the end, looking very clean after 2 months of captivity). This is one of the best AW of the 60's and wonder why it is so little known. It was produced for TV and then distributed theatrically. And rightly so as can be judged by anybody watching it, like I did, on a big screen. As I wrote repeatedly here, what you expect from a Western? Well I expect original (and clever) variations on established canons. here you have many unxpected turns on well-established situations: and you never guess what it's coming, till the very end. Ford does little, expecially ioncomparison with his fame as fastest gun around: that creates expectations which are not fulfilled: and that is a complaint. But he is a great westerner, on a par with Cooper and Fonda, in my book. Garfield pans Kennedy, who is just looking very old, that's all: he's good, as usual. Don't miss it. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »

Director: Jerry Thorpe, with one of the writers being Charles Marquis Warren who was known more for being a producer probably best know for "Have Gun Will Travel", but also "The Virginian" and some 52 episodes of "Gunsmoke". Any way, an average but strange AW that sputters and misses as it episodically moves along, some work Dean Jagger's Jimmy Nobel some don't Nico Minardos' DeLeon & Comencheros segment. It really lacks style and a noticeable score that would have helped to make the whole film flow better it feels more like a long TV show honestly.

Plot is ex-gunfighter Glen Ford arrives back in town after disappearing for a couple of years to find out that his wife & daughters are recently captured by the Apache. There is an early sequence with the preachers wife who has just been returned from the same raid that builds to nothing, she seems catatonic but when Ford asks what they were wearing she replies that she was big build up oh my "naked."  Ford rides out to the family ranch.

Ford finds details of the last three years of his wife & children from nearby homesteading rancher Arthur Kennedy who apparently has taken his place. They both set out to find them as rivals. It becomes a sort of riff on Face to Face with peaceful Kennedy gradually becoming more and more violent. Its got a load of familiar Western character actors Dean Jagger, John Anderson, Paul Fix, Harry Dean Stanton, and Royal Dano.

The way the majority of the Apache were depicted moving about especially during the deserted Mormon town attack reminded me of swarming insects perhaps this was due to the camera angles. When Ford and Kennedy finally arrive at the Apache camp and free the hostages its sort of anticlimactic, then the wife & kids disappear never to be seen again. It kind of reminds me how I felt after watching "The Stalking Moon", I'll give it an overly generous 6.5-7/10.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:28:48 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »

That is strange, I searched for this and it was not listed before "Day Of The Outlaw" in the index so I added it.

Anyway you liked it a tad more that I did. If you check with the Imdb reviews the poster that liked it the least has a list of valid criticisms. i.e.

The Mexican bandito finds our two heroes strung up in a tree. He goes to all the trouble of staking them out in the heat of the desert so the vultures will devour them alive. (The stakes, which the bandito just happened to have, are securely driven into sand.) Oops. No. He returns to save the one who says he knows where some money is. By the way, the bandito hasn't even broken a sweat from all this physical exertion.

What?

This clever bandito is easily distracted by searching for the missing money in the butt of the rifle he took from the two, so Ford can outflank him. El bandito thinks he is safe because the one bullet in Ford's pistol is two chambers away from the hammer.

What?

Our heroes learn from one of the citizens dying from cholera that the Apache camp where the wife and daughters are being held is two and a half days west. Apaches are not resident farmers, like the Hopi, they're desert roamers. But they'll still be there when our stars arrive.

What?

The renegade soldiers have only ammunition to bargain with the Apaches for their lives, but during the Indian raid, no one is assigned to protect the remaining wagon of bullets.

What?

After crossing a desert, Kennedy dives into the first water source to noisily slake his thirst. The nearby Apache sentry does not hear or see them.

What?

They manage to sneak up on the sentry and take him out. That's two clumsy white guys trying to be stealthy around a moccasined Indian.

What?

Ford and Kennedy rappel down a cliff side in full view of the Indian camp without drawing attention.

What?

They succeed in sneaking up behind the woman and her daughters who have been tied to three poles in the center of the camp. One must assume the three have been staked there, relieving themselves in their clothes, for the four or five days its taken our heroes to get there.

What?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »

What?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

What?

lol

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:11 AM »

There's a new R1 DVD-r: Erickson praises both it and the film: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3785gun.html

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »

There's a new R1 DVD-r: Erickson praises both it and the film

What?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM