Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tall in the Saddle (1944)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tall in the Saddle (1944)  (Read 3089 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »

Very good Wayne movie, with just a little too much of mystery elements to make it dated but entertaining all over. Best performance of Gabby Hayes I know, Ella Raines is very pretty. 7\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »

Ella Raines is very pretty.
A former Washingtonian, born and raised in  Snoqualmie, 20 minutes East of Seattle.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »

This doesn't ring a bell with me  Embarrassed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »

Average John Wayne B picture, no more no less, with humor provided by Gabby Hayes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »

Average John Wayne B picture, no more no less,

If this is the typical Wayne B picture then I want want to see all the dozens he made. Problem is that apparently it isn't so.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »

Ok a modicum better than an average JW B Western  Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »

I have some reputedly b westerns by wayne. I'll check them in the future.  Afro

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:50:42 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

I have some reputedly b westerns by wayne. I'll check them in the future.  Afro

Watched this again, so I can refine somewhat my one line review. Its of course a bit bigger budget than JW's typical "B" Westerns it sort of feels like a transition Western between his Republic Westerns and his later work with John Ford and almost a step back from "Stagecoach".

It has too many of those typical  "B" Western type sequences that remind me of his earlier films, for example the massed posse galloping across the landscape, and Gabby Hayes though good in this doesn't help reminding you of those "B" films also, Christ, he had to be in about 150 previous B Westerns and that really cements that impression home. Some of the costumes particularly the western shirts with the "smile" pockets worn, remind you of the Tom Mix 30's-40's singing cowboy "B's", lol.

One thing that sounded a bit weird was during JW's entrance sequence his voice sounded a bit odd a little too high pitched like he didn't have a pair.

Ella Raines (as titoli mentioned) is very cute in this and has a very nice wiggle in her jeans & chaps outfit, lol

Anyway since I didn't rate it originally I'll give it a 6/10 this go round its entertaining enough.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »

just saw the movie (I recorded a bunch of movies that TCM played during their recent 5-day Wayne tribute, watching some over the past few days), I liked it. Wayne was pretty skinny in those days. Gabby Hayes is awesome. I didn't think Ella Raines was particularly pretty (maybe the shnozz ruins it), I'm sure her blue eyes were very pretty in Technicolor. Enjoyed myself throughout. 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »

Yes, this is quite a nice little Wayner. It has a fine drive and is really fun to watch. 6/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »

Yes, this is quite a nice little Wayner. It has a fine drive and is really fun to watch. 6/10

if I give it a 7.5/10 and you give it a 6/10, I assume that means we're pretty much in agreement

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:17:35 AM »

I wasn't sure what was going on with the characters by the end of this. It has a more involved plot than the usual western. The action is good. Ella Raines makes a good spitfire making even big John Wayne very nervous. Gabby Hayes is great as a hard-drinking misogynist. So generally I think that this is a reasonable Wayne western despite it's disorderly character plotting.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM