Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:55:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Six Black Horses (1962)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Six Black Horses (1962)  (Read 1374 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »

Apparently I'm the only one around who likes this movie and gives it a 8\10. Garfield liquidates it in a dozen words and at IMDB few tepid reviews. Now, I liked it from beginning to end: a good intro scene, a mystery about the woman's aims, good action scenes. I always read that Murphy couldn't play for life but I have no grudge about  his performance here (I read that he made better movies than this one, in the 50's. That's good news.). The woman is not young but is very attractive. And, as to be expected is Dureya who dominates the screen and depicts a not ordinary character. Yeah, the Indians (and Apache at that) cannot help adopting suicidal tactics, but how many westerns we saw like that? 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »

Interesting, I've never seen it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »

A great, voluntarily misleading, title, BTW, exactly as the Long Black Limousine of a great Elvis song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiwdhmf7JSw

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:50:25 PM by titoli » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »

I had never even heard of this film, so I looked up those tepid reviews on IMDb. This comment caught my eye:
Burt Kennedy's screenplay plagiarises his own screenplay for "Ride Lonesome"! Not only does Kennedy re-use some of the plot points - the redskins offering to trade a horse for the lushly feminine white woman/the sudden race across flat lands to a refuge just over the ridge - but also recycles some of his dialogue: "Some things a man just can't ride around" /"just thinking about it gives me a shiver deep down inside"/"a man needs a reason to ride this country".
That seems damning.

OTOH, I'm a big Dan Dureya fan, and the intro does sound good, and it's only 80 minutes, so maybe I'll give it a chance some day.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:59 AM »

Burt Kennedy's screenplay plagiarises his own screenplay for "Ride Lonesome"! Not only does Kennedy re-use some of the plot points - the redskins offering to trade a horse for the lushly feminine white woman/the sudden race across flat lands to a refuge just over the ridge -

I hadn' noticed it, but these seem to be minor points: probably there are a hundred westerns where a horse is offered by an Injun for a woman. I think I saw  some myself. About the sudden race, ditto.

but also recycles some of his dialogue: "Some things a man just can't ride around" /"just thinking about it gives me a shiver deep down inside"/"a man needs a reason to ride this country".

I'd bet the same happened with other screenplayers. But that doesn't have any significant relevance. The story has little to do with Ride Lonesome.   Unless we want to say that the fundamental western story lines are alweays the same ones. Which is true. And obvious.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »

Weak western, which needed a better director to make the screenplay work. But Harry Keller's directing is pretty uninspired, And Audie Murphy ... forget Audie Murphy.

I noticed also the similarities to the Boetticher / Kennedy westerns. I'm sure it would have been much better as another Ranown western.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM