Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:32:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gabriele Ferzetti / Antonioni
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gabriele Ferzetti / Antonioni  (Read 3598 times)
rrosefelt
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2003, 01:08:26 AM »

Gabriele Ferzetti, who plays Morton, is also at the center of another one of the greatest films of all time, Antonioni's "L'Avventura."

I definitely see a huge influence on Leone from Antonioni, by the way.  Particularly in their love of close-up compositions, placing one person on one side of the widescreen frame and then surprising you when another person suddenly enters the frame from the other side.  

This happens startlingly in "L'Avventura," and is one of the things I also love about "Once Upon a Time in the West."

While I don't know if Leone ever expressed any influence from Antonioni, his visual language was considered very revolutionary at the time and was much discussed in film circles worldwide.  

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:04:15 AM »

Happend to be flipping thru the channels last night and caught the opening credist for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" Ferzetti played Draco, George Lazenby Bond, it definitely had an influence on the "Austin Power's flicks, Telly Savalas dresses like Doctor Evil and has a white cat, lol, Dianna Rigg also played Bond's love interest.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »

I just saw L'Avventura.  Didn't realize how young Ferzetti is!

When OUATITW was shot, he was only 43 years old; as Mr. Morton, he looks 20 years older – the makeup dep't of OUATITW did a great job!

And L'Avventura has another Leone connection: Lea Massari played Dalia in The Colossus of Rhodes.

Yes, Ferzetti delivers a terrific performance in L'Avventura (although at least once, I caught him trying to hold back a smile  Wink ). The performances in L'Avventura were all great: the leads, Ferzetti, Monica Vitti, and Masari, as well as the entire supporting cast.

-- Ferzetti, Vitti, and Masari are all still with us  Smiley

-- in the scene where Lea Masari's character jumps into the water off the boat, it's not actually Masari, but assistant director Franco Indovina; he's filmed from the back and wearing a woman's bathing suit and bathing cap, but has hairy armpits  Grin

SPOILERS

-- According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Avventura#Meaning
When asked, Antonioni told Robbe-Grillet that the "missing" scene (showing Anna's body recovered from the sea) was scripted and actually filmed but did not make it into the final cut, apparently for timing reasons.
The source provided is Alain Robbe-Grillet. Préface à une vie d'écrivain. Seuil, 2005. ISBN 9782020845885. Pg. 223-225.
That doesn't make much sense to me - if Antonioni indeed intended to have a scene showing Anna's body being pulled from the sea, that's a tremendously important scene and there's no way that scene would have been cut for timing reasons. There are plenty of scenes in the movie where nothing much happens and (while they may contribute to the mood/theme of the movie), they're not more important than a scene showing Anna's body being pulled from the sea. If that scene was shot but not included in the final cut, I can't believe it would be for timing; it would have to be cuz Antonioni decided that he preferred not to include that scene.
Anyone know anything about this?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:31:13 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »

Never heard anything about such a scene before. Maybe it does not exist.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »

Yes, Ferzetti delivers a terrific performance in L'Avventura (although at least once, I caught him trying to hold back a smile  Wink ). The performances in L'Avventura were all great: the leads, Ferzetti, Monica Vitti, and Masari, as well as the entire supporting cast.
So, now you're fluent in Italian? Or did you actually mean to say that the cast photographed well?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »

When OUATITW was shot, he was only 43 years old; as Mr. Morton, he looks 20 years older – the makeup dep't of OUATITW did a great job!
Yeah, OK. I don't want to take anything away from OUATITW's makeup dept., but they got quite a bit of help when Ferzetti allowed himself to be shot without his rug. That alone can add 20 years to your looks, easy.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM