Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:14:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "I wouldn't want to miss, Mr. Bailey"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I wouldn't want to miss, Mr. Bailey"  (Read 3204 times)
Mr. Pseudonym
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:31 AM »

First, I'd like to apologize for not posting for so long, if anyone here remembers me (a wife's surgery can set you back a few years on message boards), secondly, I just saw OUATIA a couple of years ago; I was hesitant at first, because in my own mind, I believed Sergio Leone's genre was Westerns alone--boy, was I wrong! I'm so addicted to this movie now, I watch it every night. 

Anyway, the question/discussion point I'm raising is when older Noodles is talking with Secretary Bailey about his eyes, hands, etc., being not adequate enough to handle a gun any more.  The quote that comes to mind is "and I wouldn't want to miss, Mr. Bailey!"

Now, Max just glosses over this with "cut the bull----, Noodles," and yada yada.  I'm wondering how many people here think this is genuine rage seething within Noodles at making this remark, or he actually thinks he's incapable of handling a gun at his age.  I'm on the side of the rage angle--please discuss, and it's nice to be back!  Afro

It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack.  Not rationality.
Mr. Pseudonym
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  This can indeed be interpreted a number of ways; in my own mind I just like to assume that Noodles is quietly threatening Secretary Bailey/Max, and Max just misses it with his usual anger. 

I really wish there was the original 4-6 hour movie Sergio Leone intended.  I've seen pictures of deleted scenes online with Louise Fletcher, etc., but I see from reading other posts and topics here that this is probably just a wish that will never come true.   Cry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »

I don't believe there's any threat on Noodles' part, but he is slyly telling Bailey that he's declining the opportunity to play  the Secretary's game. My favorite bit of sarcasm is when Noodles finishes by telling Bailey he hopes the man's troubles will work themselves out. Caustic!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

Caustic!

Hell, I always called it ''acid sarcasm''. Good thing I read your posts every once and a while; if it wasn't for you I would never know that fancy word.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »

Hell, I always called it ''acid sarcasm''. Good thing I read your posts every once and a while; if it wasn't for you I would never know that fancy word.
Is you funnin' me?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Mr. Pseudonym
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »

I don't believe there's any threat on Noodles' part, but he is slyly telling Bailey that he's declining the opportunity to play  the Secretary's game. My favorite bit of sarcasm is when Noodles finishes by telling Bailey he hopes the man's troubles will work themselves out. Caustic!

Heh.  They worked themselves out, alright--in the back of that 'hot rod' garbage truck.  Most stylish garbage truck I've ever seen.  Afro

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07:42 AM »

Is you funnin' me?

Ti ti.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:20 AM »

Yeah, I always thought the scene was Noodles deliberately needling Max.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM