Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:31:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Union Pacific (1939)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Union Pacific (1939)  (Read 1356 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

I think this hasn't stood the test of time so well, though it earned an award at Cannes. It has the kind of scope of Ford's Iron Horse but the back-projections, the studio made open air scenes, the "funny" characters, the stale love story mar the good parts. I like the very original scene of the Indian train assault, but there you also have bits of childish hollywoodism with the Indian letting themselves be killed for pleasure. Add to that the b&w and that makes me wonder I may go through it 30 years from now (assuming I'll be here to do it). 6\10

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »

This one has a little nostalgia tied in it for me. Before I ever loved movies, or westerns, my dad would show me this movie for all the trains. Since I was little I've always liked this movie, and I still do.

However, I now notice how Hollywood it is. I much prefer Ford's "The Iron Horse" which just looks so f*cking authentic that it seems more like a documentary on the building of the railroad rather than a movie of it ( yet the film still maintains its fun revenge plot ).   

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

Just saw the DVD. First viewing. I give this movie a 7.5/10 (DVD looks great)

Barbara Stanwyck with a phony Irish accent  Cry Cry Cry Actually, I have never liked Stanwyck much. Blasphemy, I know. She was decent, but I never thought she was great. Double Indemnity is one of my all-time favorite movies, despite her, not because of her. Whatever fame her Phyllis Dietrichson has is cuz of the anklet and the towel and the cheap wig, not Stanwyck. She's one of those about whom I really can't understand why she was considered so great.

Joel McCrea is another guy I never knew how he became a big leading man. He should have been a nobody. Not that he particularly annoys me here; he is just plain average, nothing special. I like Robert Preston; Akim Tamiroff is always good.

This is a movie that could never be made today: of course, the depiction of Indians as (gasp!) backward savages. But also because of the unabashed "America, rah-rah" thing. This movie is, plain and simple, a celebration of America, of a particular time in American history, with the almost-sacred ceremony at the end.

Whether for better or worse, these movies that are blatant celebrations of America or whatever you wanna call it, are not made anymore.

I know this movie is often compared with The Iron Horse, but I haven't seen that one; I haven't seen too many silent films; I don't bother to go out and rent them, but if TIH plays on TCM eventually I'll see it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:11:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:40 AM »

Whether for better or worse, these movies that are a blatant celebrations of America or whatever you wanna call it, are not made anymore.

Really? I think there are still a lot. Like the 2 nukethewhitehouse films

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »

Transformers as well. American Sniper.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM