Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:27:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Junior Bonner (1972)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Junior Bonner (1972)  (Read 6058 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »

Mike confirmed it yesterday over on sampeckinpah.com. Great news. I hope they do a good job with it.

Spikeopath
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »

Without McQueen? Well, hmm >

Above average film featuring a cracking lead performance.

The film itself is interesting enough, even to those not interested in its core subject of Rodeo, and it's a story that I think most viewers can get onside with. The title character played wonderfully by Steve McQueen returns to his home town of Prescott, Arizona, to find that the family he left behind is now fractured and that age has caught up with him and his Rodeo life.

It's a very up and down piece that on the surface doesn't seem like a directed effort from Sam Peckinpah. But there's some very special treats in the film to look out for. I have never been to a Rodeo so I have no frame of reference as regards the power of the Rodeo scenes here, but they certainly hit the spot of this particular viewer, in fact, I was transfixed by them. The film is also dotted with interesting and nicely drawn characters that are thankfully well realised by the acting talent on show. Ida Lupino, Robert Preston & Ben Johnson all help to keep the film way above average, but ultimately it's Steve McQueen turning in a memorable lead performance that actually deserves a better film than the one it ends up being. So 7/10 for the film as a whole, but a genuine 10/10 for the affectingly deep turn from McQueen.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:34:02 AM by Spikeopath » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:16 AM »

An average film gets a 7/10? In my rating system average films get a 2/10, cause average films are mostly boring films.

But Junior Bonner is a 9/10. And a total Peckinpah film in every respect, be that good or bad for the viewer.

Spikeopath
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 05:33:12 AM »

An average film gets a 7/10? In my rating system average films get a 2/10, cause average films are mostly boring films.

But Junior Bonner is a 9/10. And a total Peckinpah film in every respect, be that good or bad for the viewer.

Well you are kinda right. Surely 2 would be poor or even terrible? I couldn't bring myself to rate it lower because McQueen is THAT good.

Peckinpah is one of my favourite directors! I would have to watch it again (I own it, as I do all Sam's films), but I'll add above average since I have put that in the review!...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »

Well you are kinda right. Surely 2 would be poor or even terrible?

No, 1 is poor and 0 is terrible. These are enough points for bad, boring or mediocre films.

But I think that your ratings are generally very generous towards films, which are for me often more or less forgettable. Different tastes, different rating systems ...

For Peckinpah being one of your favourite directors your Bonner rating of being average is pretty strange. For most others it is an essential Peckinpah film.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:06:26 AM by stanton » Logged

Spikeopath
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »

No, 1 is poor and 0 is terrible. These are enough points for bad, boring or mediocre films.

But I think that your ratings are generally very generous towards films, which are for me often more or less forgettable. Different tastes, different rating systems ...

For Peckinpah being one of your favourite directors your Bonner rating of being average is pretty strange. For most others it is an essential Peckinpah film.

Well I stand by my ratings, your ratings make no sense to me at all, 2/10 average, are you rating as 5 maximum? Only if it's 10 you use then surely going by maths a 5 is average!

My ratings are to be taken in consideration with all my reviews, at least I make effort to explain where I arrived at a score.

As for Bloody Sam, just because yourself and others seem to love this one to pieces, I do not, he is after all a very divisive director.

The Deadly Companions (1961) 4/10
Ride the High Country (1962)  9/10
Major Dundee (1965)  7/10
The Wild Bunch (1969) 10/10 (second favourite film of all time)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)  9/10
Straw Dogs (1971)  10/10
Junior Bonner (1972) 7/10 (incidently its IMDb rating is 6.8...)
The Getaway (1972) 8/10
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)  9/10
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) 9/10
The Killer Elite (1975) To Be Reviewed (6.5-7ish/10)
Cross of Iron (1977) 9/10
Convoy (1978) 7/10
The Osterman Weekend (1983)  5/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:37 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12078.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »

As for Bloody Sam, just because yourself and others seem to love this one to pieces, I do not, he is after all a very divisive director.

I don't love any director to pieces, so Peckinpah also not. He was a very talented director, but also a troubled personality, and one who had to struggle a lot with himself. But he had so much talent that even his lesser films are quite good. Which means he never made a mediocre film imo, none of his films gets less than 6 points on my entertainometer.
But then, considering his talent, he could have been able to make more great films than he actually did, but that potential was buried by drugs and alc.

Our ratings are not that different btw, even when I consider that I give not much points for boring films.

But Bonner is one of his best, a central film in his oeuvre. And very well directed.

I'm btw also surprised about the low rating for The Deadly Companions, especially compared to all your other ratings of westerns.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:04:41 AM by stanton » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »

But you're not giving yourself any wiggle room for the most terrible films ever made that lack all the basic fundamentals of filmmaking.

While rating systems are subjective, I just don't understand the overly harsh ones. If I see someone rate a movie a 5 or 6/10, I'm going to think that it's not an endorsement.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »

But you're not giving yourself any wiggle room for the most terrible films ever made that lack all the basic fundamentals of filmmaking.

I do. They get a deserved 0.

Do I really need to differentiate between bad, very bad and extremely bad films.

Btw, as I give also 11/10 points (mathematicians love that), I wouldn't hesitate to give negative ratings, if necessary, but it is not really necessary.

Spikeopath
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 02:53:05 AM »

I don't love any director to pieces, so Peckinpah also not. He was a very talented director, but also a troubled personality, and one who had to struggle a lot with himself. But he had so much talent that even his lesser films are quite good. Which means he never made a mediocre film imo, none of his films gets less than 6 points on my entertainometer.
But then, considering his talent, he could have been able to make more great films than he actually did, but that potential was buried by drugs and alc.

Our ratings are not that different btw, even when I consider that I give not much points for boring films.

But Bonner is one of his best, a central film in his oeuvre. And very well directed.

I'm btw also surprised about the low rating for The Deadly Companions, especially compared to all your other ratings of westerns.

JFTR - I only bring up the review issue because I'm marking for musical score, scenery, narrative themes as well as your standard characterisations, action etc, that's why I try to review every film I watch. Some folk get wood just if a film is action packed or lyrically heavy alone, I'm into all encompassing when it comes to a film. A 7/10 "B" Western from me will explain what I liked about it, but I also review with balance and mention irks if I see them.

Spikeopath
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2017, 02:54:19 AM »

I don't love any director to pieces, so Peckinpah also not.

I was on about the film!

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 01:50:11 AM »

JUNIOR BONNER Kino Lorber Blu-ray release date: October 31 !
It contains a truly wonderful HD Blu-ray master and some 2 hrs of supplements I produced: 

PASSION & POETRY – RODEO TIME (Documentary with screenwriter Jeb Rosebrook, Katy Haber, Ali MacGraw, Garner Simmons, L.Q. Jones) 56 Min

PASSION & POETRY – PECKINPAH ANECDOTES (Short documentary with Ernest Borgnine, James Coburn, Kris Kristofferson, Ali MacGraw, Isela Vega, L.Q. Jones, R.G. Armstrong, Bo Hopkins and David Warner) 26 Min

AUDIO COMMENTARY by Sam Peckinpah Authors Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle, moderated by Film Historian Nick Redman

JUNIOR BONNER TRIVIA (cameo’s, in-jokes & more) 5 Min

JUNIOR BONNER REMEMBERED (4th of July rodeo 2016, featurette by Keith Woods & Alyson Titkemeyer) 3 Min

JUNIOR BONNER on the set (Animated Image Gallery) 5 Min

JUNIOR BONNER in Pictures (Animated Image Gallery) 4 Min

JUNIOR BONNER Posters & Lobby Cards (Animated Image Gallery) 5 Min

US Theatrical Trailer

2 US Radio Spots

US TV Spot

Reverse Blu-ray Art

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/4780

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

Looks great  Afro Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »

My quick review of the new disc:
Junior Bonner (1972) - 8/10. Uh oh, the new Kino blu is struck from the dreaded "dated master." Black levels are elevated, skin tones are frequently too red. It's like watching something from 8 years ago. Otherwise, though, the image is sharp and provides a good viewing experience. If one had time to view it, that is. That damn Mike Siegel has loaded this thing up with all kinds of extras. Two Passion & Poetry installments (one at 56min., the other at 26)! 3 animated image galleries (the one with the posters is particularly nice). Damn it, Mike, who has time now to watch the feature? (which includes commentary from the Peckinpah Posse (was this originally gonna be a Twilight Time release?)). Anyway, Passion & Poetry - Rodeo Time is worth the price of admissions alone: 80% of it is an interview with screenwriter Jeb Rosebrook, and man, he really knows where all the bodies are buried (he was there from the start: he originated the project, he was there when McQueen was attached, he remembers when Peckinpah got involved, he did re-writes on set). Anyway, a real fount of knowledge. Well done, Mike.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM