Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 10:16:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Duel (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duel (1971)  (Read 6122 times)
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »

Spielberg's first.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MtAMc4i8OA

care to comment ?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:14:39 AM by Dust Devil » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »

If you open a topic about a movie it is an unwritten rule most of us here follow to put an IMDb link and the year next to the title in the subject. It makes life around here much easier. Wink

Plus, this section (Other Films) is sorta reserved for all type of Westerns, or movies that in some way have ties with Sergio Leone's body of work, and this movie doesn't quite strike me as being one of those. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:16:27 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »

Well, Mr. Moderator, could we finally change this section to read "Other Western Films" so that it's obvious to new posters what goes here?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »

Now, 'bout the movie: not only is his first movie (is it?) but it is also his best. At least in my book.

I usually reserve my opinion about guys like Spielberg; the industry's for obvious reasons very fond of him, most of the serious filmgoers can't stand him. As I grew up watching some of his flicks I'm somewhere in the middle. His family flicks are okay to watch from time to time, his dramas are preachy but I guess have some historical value. Whether I'm a snob or not I'll leave disputed, but sorry no, I must say I don't consider him a ''serious filmmaker''.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »

Well, Mr. Moderator, could we finally change this section to read "Other Western Films" so that it's obvious to new posters what goes here?

Well, Mr. Jenkins, we, unlike Mr. Cal, most certainly couldn't. But as soon as we can we will. Smiley

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »

Now, 'bout the movie: not only is his first movie (is it?) but it is also his best. At least in my book.

I usually reserve my opinion about guys like Spielberg; the industry's for obvious reasons very fond of him, most of the serious filmgoers can't stand him. As I grew up watching some of his flicks I'm somewhere in the middle. His family flicks are okay to watch from time to time, his dramas are preachy but I guess have some historical value. Whether I'm a snob or not I'll leave disputed, but sorry no, I must say I don't consider him a ''serious filmmaker''.
I liked the idea which is very cinematic. I think Hitchcock must have been envious about it. But in the end the movie is just OK, nothing special, IMO, and certainly not Spielberg's best.

Jesus Christ, I can count thirteen movies from him that I consider to be at least "good": Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Artificial Intelligence: AI, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal and Munich. Only five films I don't like: Hook, Jurassic Park, Amistad, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And he has done at least one true masterpiece: A.I. which is a good candidate for the best movie of the last decade. I would hardly call him overrated.

It's true that he isn't really a "serious" director. He has tried to be that a couple of times but the results has been, as you said, preachy. Saving Private Ryan, for example, has some great battle scenes but otherwise it's not convincing. But as an entertainer he is one of the best ones walking on this Earth. The original Indiana Jones trilogy is highly entertaining, and so are Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can, even if their substance is pretty much nonexistent. Sure, Spielberg can be overly sentimental and cheesy (some parts of E.T. go over the top, as do some parts of The Terminal, Munich and many others) and his point of view seems to be ridiculously naive (he believes in the American dream, nuclear family etc. without reservations), but in his best films he avoids those pitfalls and makes you - maybe just for a minute, but still - believe in his naive fantasy.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »

DUEL is a top thriller in my opinion. An eerie, unsettling suspense picture. The desert setting is wonderful. Spielberg creates a sense of isolation even amongst the vast expanse of the sandy wasteland. The diner sequence is class paranoia as Weaver tries to decipher who the mad trucker could be. I also love the fact that aside from his hand and a boot, we never see the drivers face. Also, the truck "roars" as it goes over the cliff at the end; something Spielberg would again utilize for the death of the shark in JAWS. Even with its head blown off, you hear a dissonant "roar" as the bloody carcass sinks below the depths. Lots of nicely orchestrated scenes in DUEL. The first time we realize something isn't quite right with the trucker, the bit with the school bus and the finale as Weaver's car is steadily falling apart. I haven't seen it in some time. I don't even think I've yet watched the movie on the special edition save for the documentary on there. Might be time to see it again, now.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »

Steve said he'd position cameras then shot the scene, then have them turn around and shoot them again, only the car & truck are going in the opposite direction. this created , by accident . a spin that would have viewers of the big screen thrown off kilter momentarily  

the point is DUEL 1971 was a TV movie w/ a budget. this technique saved both time and money which tickled the exects

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:09:29 PM by sargatanas » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »

DUEL is a top thriller in my opinion. An eerie, unsettling suspense picture. The desert setting is wonderful. Spielberg creates a sense of isolation even amongst the vast expanse of the sandy wasteland. The diner sequence is class paranoia as Weaver tries to decipher who the mad trucker could be. I also love the fact that aside from his hand and a boot, we never see the drivers face. Also, the truck "roars" as it goes over the cliff at the end; something Spielberg would again utilize for the death of the shark in JAWS. Even with its head blown off, you hear a dissonant "roar" as the bloody carcass sinks below the depths. Lots of nicely orchestrated scenes in DUEL. The first time we realize something isn't quite right with the trucker, the bit with the school bus and the finale as Weaver's car is steadily falling apart. I haven't seen it in some time. I don't even think I've yet watched the movie on the special edition save for the documentary on there. Might be time to see it again, now.

I agree with most you said.

It's been quite some time since I saw it but I remember vividly pretty much all of the scenes, for a movie whose basis consists of two men in their vehicles on a road in the middle of the nowhere, without budget, this is a truly outstanding achievement. One of the best psychological thrillers, ever.

I remember I first saw it as a kid with my father, and then numerous times on TV. The scene with the school bus was never actually shown, at least I don't remember seeing it on TV. They mostly showed the 74 minutes version. I think the scene with the old lady and her snakes was also clipped. The scene with the old couple was, on the other hand, always there. But that scene with the school bus I think subtracts from the movie more than it adds. Without it you can understand Weaver's character's desperation better, because it seems he's really alone against the truck-maniac on the road. If someone would stop them nobody would believe him what was really going on.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:00:24 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »

The one thing I don't like is the tone of Dennis Weaver's voice: it's often irritating.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »

I think the purpose of the school bus sequence, at least the way I see it, is to add an additional layer of suspense for the audience. Will the truck driver menace these children in some way? The truck is seen just sitting there a short distance away. Also, Weaver's character is shown to be "crazy" in the eyes of the bus driver and his "on edge" attitude reinforces that notion. Ultimately, the madman trucker ends up helping the stranded bus. Very psychological in terms of further toying with Weaver.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »

?

I forgot all about that... I remember the mad trucker was trying to push the buss down someplace, or am I wrong?

Well, as I've said I've seen that scene in the movie only maybe twice.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »

I remember seeing it for the first time on TV (years ago) and thinking it was a great little TV movie - years later when I realised it was a Spielberg movie I remember thinking "I should have known".

Although not my favourite director I still think he is a rare talent and I do enjoy his movies whether it be a popcorn one like War Of The Worlds or his more serious ones (Private Ryan)-  films like Jaws,Raiders,ET,Schindler's List IMHO are great accomplishments

The man is probably (with Cameron & Lucas) one of the most successfull (box office) directors of all time - and he does have the rare gift of tapping into what the public wants.

I do however understand what someone said earlier about him being preachy - Saving Private Ryan made the Normandy landings look as though it was America (alone) v the Nazis - he didn't address the fact that the Ohmaha beach slaughter could have been avoided if the US airforce/navy had done their job and knocked out their targets as the RAF etc had done earlier on the other beaches!  Also there was a scene in Schindler's list where Liam Neeson breaks down in front of his factory workers - it was a very Spielberg moment that I thought didn't belong in that film and spoiled (for me) an otherwise magnificent piece of cinema.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »

Was there not another film that came out after Duel which totally ripped it off - I think it was about a Black Cadillac with all  its windows blacked out that chased some poor guy all over the shop - I think it went over a cliff in the end.

It was called Hell/Devil car or something.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »

?

I forgot all about that... I remember the mad trucker was trying to push the buss down someplace, or am I wrong?

Well, as I've said I've seen that scene in the movie only maybe twice.

The bus was stranded and Weaver was trying to give them a push. Then he got his bumper stuck up under the bus. The driver was calling him crazy when he finally revealed why he wanted to hurry up and get the hell out of there. He leaves the bus there then the truck comes along and gives them a friendly push somewhere while Weaver watches on in amazement.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM