Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 10:26:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Proposition (2005)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Proposition (2005)  (Read 33666 times)
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2004, 04:35:48 AM »

Although not technically a spaghetti, Nick Cave has written a script in spaghetti western style, which will directed by long time friend and collaborator John Hillcoat, and it will be starring Guy Pearce. The film will start shooting in the beginning of 2005, and it should be fantastic (I am after all a Nick Cave-fanatic as well as a spaghetti western fanatic).

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 03:38:02 AM »

Nobody have you read Nick Cave's book
'And the ass saw the angel' ?
Very gothic western feel.

Abie Poe the Preachers entrance is pure Spaghetti.  Wink

Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 03:53:01 AM »

Yep, I've read it. Several times, actually. It has an incredible ambiance, and if the new western can capture just a little bit of that, I would be in heaven.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 03:34:39 PM »

i had never even heard of nick cave until i read this post and i got interested so i looked him up... i read the first 5 or 6 pages of the book you mentioned in an excerpt from amazon and listened to some of his songs and i'm hooked... i have to have this book and i love his music.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:16:53 AM »

Nick Cave writing a spaghetti-western!!! Like you Nobody, I'm a big fan of both Nick Cave and Leone-westerns. This would seem promising, given the touch on many of his records - remember Red Right Hand and Stagger Lee for instance? Now we only need Tom Waits for a part in the movie and a soundtrack collaborator. He's got that touch as well...

Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 07:41:04 AM »

Tom Waits...that would be great. In addition to his amazing discography (I can't think of an album I don't like), he is a terrific actor. Have you seen him as Renfield in Coppola's "Dracula". He IS Renfield.

By the way, you should check out the last film John Hillcoat directed from a Nick Cave script, "Ghosts...Of The Civil Dead". A really powerful allegorical prison film. A great performance by Nick Cave to.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 05:47:46 AM »

Nick Cave writing a spaghetti-western!!! Like you Nobody, I'm a big fan of both Nick Cave and Leone-westerns. This would seem promising, given the touch on many of his records - remember Red Right Hand and Stagger Lee for instance? Now we only need Tom Waits for a part in the movie and a soundtrack collaborator. He's got that touch as well...

I love "Red Right Hand"!  That song's too cool for words.  Grin

I shall keep myself ready to hear any updates.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 06:13:54 AM »

Hey guys give me a rundown on Nick Cave, never heard of him.  I love Tom Waits been listening to him since 70's, and he was great in Dracula.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 06:40:33 AM »

My favourite Nick Cave album is without a doubt "The Boatman's Call". It's quiet, melancholic, and it is his most personal album, and should tell you as much about Nick Cave himself as anybody on this board can. If you like it, you might want to check ou some of these albums as well: "Your Funeral, My Trial" (early Nick Cave, very different from his later works), "Let Love In", "Murder Ballads" (all songs on this album are stories about a murder, including Nick Cave's biggest hit, "Where The Wild Roses Grow", feat. Kylie Minouge), or you could simply by his best of-compilation: "The Best Of Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds".

His novel, "And The Ass Saw The Angel", has already been mentioned on this board. It is also worth to check out, but if you are going to buy one of his books, I'd rather recommend "The Complete Lyrics", which proves that Nick Cave is indeed one of the greatest songwriters ever.

Nick Cave have also appeared in some films you might have seen. He played himself in the german classic "Wings Of Desire" (Wim Wenders), and his music appears on the soundtrack for most of Wenders' films. His biggest acting part was in "Johnny Suede" (Tom DiCillio), against Brad Pitt. One of his most famous songs, Red Right Hand, sounds like it was made for a spaghetti western, and has been used in many films (most of them crap), including Dumb And Dumber, Scream 1,2, and 3, plus X-files (the TV-series, not the movie). You've probably heard it.

Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 08:42:38 AM »

Found an article about the film here: http://forums.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 08:46:22 AM by Nobody » Logged

Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:32:52 AM »

Written by Nick Cave, this aussie western looks pretty promising - great actors, anyway...

http://www.columbiafilms.com.au/theproposition/

heaps'n'heaps of great actors as a matter of fact...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 04:57:43 PM »

Blueberry it looks outstanding, maybe the new SW's will be AuW's, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 12:45:28 AM »

It does look outstanding... this is a must see for me... Nick cave is one of my favorite writers, Which is actually due to a reccomendation made by someone on these boards a while ago, in a thread about the rumor that he'd be writing this script if I'm not mistaken.

Another western I've been hearing good things about is Tommy lee jones(acting/directing) new film "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" apparently it's very spaghetti/peckinpah-like.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 05:29:57 AM »

Some of the first reviews..

The film has received a bit of extra publicity here in Denmark where normally nobody would give a rat's ass about an Aussie-western (except me and around 34 others)
- because Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds performed in the newly constructed Copenhagen Opera House at an Award show - in the presence of the Crown Prince. And my! - he opened with an extremely punky version of West Country Girl - I think the suburban bourgeoise house wifes who love to dig royal events in the telly were really blown away. The unfortunately the channel had to leave the show for the news.

Cave performing at the show was a direct request from "his highness" - who's got an OK taste in music - Led Zep, BRMC, and now Nick Cave. But I don't think they counted on him opening the "opera" show making that much noise... hahaha, that'll teach them. Trying to make Cave fit in a mainstream event.

Here's the reviews:
http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/003369.html
http://efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=12771&reviewer=128
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117928239?categoryId=31&cs=1

It seems it'll open in Denmark in the spring...

Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 03:56:15 AM »

Yup, I posted some early info on this a long time ago. Cave claimed it would be done in SW style. Early reviews are great, can't wait for this one. Soundtrack by Cave and Warren Ellis is out soon.

Director John Hillcoat and Nick Cave are already working on a new film together, and Cave was actually hired by Dreamworks recently to write Gladiator 2 (no kidding). They rejected his script, by it looks like he might be working more with films in the future.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM