Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:48:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Eastwoods worst western?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwoods worst western?  (Read 17854 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »

Here are the Eastwood Westerns I've seen

FOD, FAFDM, GBU
Hang 'em High
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Joe Kidd
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Unforgiven

I believe that's all the Westerns he made (unless you call Paint Your Wagon -- which I have never seen -- a Western)

IMO the worst one is probably Joe Kidd. It's been a while since I have seen Two Mules for Sister Sara, but i didn't love that one either. In Joe Kidd, I liked the scenes that occur in the town (the Old Tombstone set, my favorite American Western set) but not the ones which occur outside the town, which is the majority of the movie. I don't get all this hating on Hang 'em High, I liked that one when I saw it (which also hasn't been for a while; I don't know how I'd feel if I saw it now).

IMO, none of the Westerns Eastwood did after the Dollars films can be called masterpieces. (No, I am not a big fan of Unforgiven). Though I wouldn't say any of them are atrocious either. I'd rate all of them somewheres between a 6/10 and an 8/10

As for the non-Westerns, I am a HUGE fan of so many Eastwood-directed movies. There are so many movies he directed, -- including ones which aren't all that famous or popular and don't have very high ratings on imdb - which I love. Movies like Play Misty for Me, Breezy, White Hunter Black Heart,  A Perfect World, Absolute Power, Blood Work and Gran Torino, all of which I'd rate between a 7.5/10 and a 9/10. Then there are the two masterpieces, Mystic River and The Bridges of Madison County, which are among my 20 favorite non-Westerns of all-time.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:17:45 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2013, 06:21:50 AM »

Meh, Joe Kidd's better than Hang 'Em High.

Nah, Hang 'Em High is quite good. It suffers from a mediocre director, so it belongs in the spoiled potential category. 6/10
Joe Kidd only 4/10
It is also Sturges weakest western (well, if he hadn't directed the Rat Pack western Sergeant's 3, which gets less points than it has Sergeants)

I don't think very much of Eastwood as director, and he has mostly chosen for all his other films anonymous guys like Ted Post or Buddy van Horn. But fired some interesting ones like Phillip Kaufman.

Don Siegel's Eastwood films are similar to those from Leone special cases. Only 2 Mules for Sister Sara is indeed not that good.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »

Then there are the two masterpieces, Mystic River and The Bridges of Madison County, which are among my 20 favorite non-Westerns of all-time.

I don't suppose Eli Wallach's cameo had anything to do with that  Wink

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

You forgot Ambush at Cimarron Pass drink. Cheesy

Aside from Unforgiven I'm not a big fan of any of them.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM