Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:04:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Robin Hood (2010)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Hood (2010)  (Read 5637 times)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »

Sequel? So Robin lives. AGAIN. I want to see him dying like in the original ballad / some novels.  Angry

DoN't think I'd watch it... the only movie I'm waiting for is Going Postal, as it seems Hobbit will never be finished, and Deathly Hallows will suck just like all post-Columbus HPs.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:32 AM »

From what I understand of the plot (i.e., that it takes place after Richard dies, that Robin Hood leads a war against King John), it has no business calling itself a prequel in the first place.

Well that was a bit messy in my mind. May be they want to say that Richard isn't dead after all at the end of Robin Hood 2... You never actually see Richard dead. You see him wounded, and then people saying he's dead, and then people bringing the crown to John. I've been expecting during the whole movie that someone shows up and yells that Richard is not dead. Didn't happened. As I said, could be in the second one.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »

I had no problems with the cinematogaphy

Even the flashbacks?

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »

Sequel? So Robin lives. AGAIN. I want to see him dying like in the original ballad / some novels.  Angry

It's supposed to be a prequel, actually. It's supposed to happen before the Robin vs Sheriff battle.
On the other hand, Richard is dead, Robin already meets Mariane, and she's over 40. Which was a lot at that time.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »

For some reason I decided to see this for $6.50 instead of go look at pretty plants for free at the Phipps Conservatory. My thoughts?

Ridley Scott is a fucking hack. This movie is cynical, needlessly dark and brutal (especially for a PG-13 flick), and, worst of all, has zero purpose for existing. Besides cribbing a great many scenes and ideas from other movies (Robin's "Braveheart" speech, The Patriot-inspired barn burning, Mark Strong's Joker-esque facial scar), it completely misses the point in trying to do a "dark" "revisionist" take on Robin Hood. First of all, Robin wasn't a real person. Second of all, making Robin the hero of a super dark drama is a stupid concept, made worse by Scott's ridiculous pretensions. Not every movie needs to be Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather, least of all a movie about fucking Robin Hood, and the dark tone and ham-handed blatherings about freedom and liberty seem like a half-assed attempt to add "depth" to what ought to be a fun adventure film. The battle scenes are very violent, quick-cut and CGI-laden - everything you'd expect from a modern action movie, only here in period garb. The WWII-era landing craft in the final battle were just laughable; I guess having the Frogs sport swastikas would have been too on the nose? Russell Crowe's character arc (which ought to have been considerable) is non-existent; he goes from an opportunistic soldier to a noble hero at the drop of a hat (er, crown?). Cate Blanchet is always welcome in a film, but portraying Marian as a castrating "modern woman" is political correctness at its most idiotic. Oscar Isaac seems to be impersonating Peter O'Toole in Becket, and does a decent job as such. Mark Strong, the Hollywood villain du jour, is a bland, boring and unmotivated bad guy, bald head and scar notwithstanding. Lots of great actors in the supporting cast (Max Von Sydow, William Hurt, Danny Huston, Eileen Atkins) with jack squat to do. Boring music. In short, a waste of time.

Whew, that's long for a "capsule" review. I'll try not to make a novel of my full review.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »

Whew, that's long for a "capsule" review. I'll try not to make a novel of my full review.
Does this movie deserve a full review? Why not take your time and energy and apply them to a worthier project?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »

Hell will freeze over when I decide to do anything worthwhile. Wink

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

http://sex-in-a-sub.blogspot.com/2010/05/robbing-from-poor-writer.html

"Probably close to 3 years ago, a hot script by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris called NOTTINGHAM went out to buyers. The script was the Robin Hood story told from the Sheriff of Nottingham’s point of view - as he used period “forensics”, like tracking and arrow trajectory, to find a terrorist who was robbing respectable members of society. Shelock Holmes in Sherwood Forest. "

Guys, how come Ridely Scott could srew this up?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »

He's an ignorant dumbass, that's why.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM