Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:00:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  your favorite John Ford's western?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: your favorite John Ford's western?  (Read 9343 times)
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2004, 06:05:54 AM »

What is your favorite John Ford's Western?
I can't decide, but my favorite John Wayne's western is ALAMO.

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:28:25 AM »

i generally dont like ford as much as most people. his best aspect is cinematography and i think its when he started to question his own conservative mythology - namely in The Searchers and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance - that he was at his best.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 09:37:21 AM »

Me too I don't like generally Ford's westerns, but I wanted to know if you loike one very much...

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 09:51:45 AM »

His best in my opinion is The Searchers

"They had to find her...They had to find her"

Great film i even like John Wayne in it (which is rare)

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 11:36:13 AM »

For me: Man who Shot Liberty Valance (1st), and Searchers (2nd).  Searchers seems to get better every time, but Liberty Valance seems to produce a tear in my eye.  As to John Wayne himself: I'd rate Red River as his best performance, with Searchers second.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 12:24:31 PM »

Put me down for 'Who shot Liberty Valance'  Wink

Of topic i enjoy watchin 'The Quiet Man' Very funny  second generation irish american idea of the fatherland. Worth watchin for the 20 min fist fight across the length of the  country, which concludes with pints in the pub.  

Also very disturbing Boxing match flashbacks.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »

I think all of his films are great (though I'm not crazy about "The Searchers"), but I have to say "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".  Just awesome, very character-driven and well-written (and beautifully shot black-and-white).  IMO John Wayne's best performance (well, maybe "The Shootist" is better).

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 04:55:15 PM »

This one's hard, I like John Fords sets and backgrounds and he had a great attention for detail, there was also a great stable of character actors in his films that I can remember to this day. But the scripts were a bit too melodramatic for me, The Searchers is better, My Darling Clementine had Henry Fonda and Victor Mature but the costumes looked a bit silly, especially Henry in his ten gallon hat. Liberty Valance was ok too, but nothing great.

You can view all the great American Westerns and pluck bits and pieces out of them that are just fantastic but the plots drag them down most of the time. If you stung the good parts all together you'd have a beautiful film....., hey that what Leone did in effect, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 02:18:44 AM »

i think leone makes a good point (i'm not being misogynistic here) that when you took out all of the scenes involving the family and women then the films became a lot better. thats basically what he did tho he gave the western a real revisionist edge.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 04:32:32 AM »

Yes women and children in the films do tend to screw things up if they are part of main story line.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 04:57:14 AM »

And in his westerns, the characters are always clean. Their clothes...(not in all that's right). And characters are good or bad, there is no middle, like in Leone's movies. For an example, in one, Wayne is an outlaw, but he is nice...etc...

KERMIT
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:27:05 PM »

man who shot liberty valance. i like the way john wayne took jimmy stewert in and helped him learn to shoot.
plus,  woody strode, strother martin, john carradine, denver pyle, edmond o'brian, and if this wern't enough lee van cleef.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 09:34:58 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Bill San Antonio
Road Apple

Be cool, boy!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 05:25:23 AM »

One of my favourite westerns at all is "Fort Apache" directed by John Ford. Uncut! 123 mins.
A very good movie with excellent Actors like Victor McLaglen, Ward Bond, John Wayne and Henry Fonda.
I love the first scene with that two stagecoach men. Men like make a good western. This movie starts, you see them and you have at the moment the right western feeling.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 04:27:51 AM »

Although I'm not a John Ford-fanatic, I like all the films I've seen. The best is without a doubt The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Searchers places second. I never did care much for John Wayne, but the performances in these films are very good.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Christopher
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 07:43:38 AM »

The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM