Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 11:04:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sophia Loren, Eastwood and tennis shoes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sophia Loren, Eastwood and tennis shoes  (Read 3395 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »

I'm currently reading a more than 30 year old book of Hollywood gossip, Hollywood is a Four Letter Town, written by  journalist James Bacon. Like the other book he published after this (which I have already read) Made in Hollywood,   it is very funny and, well, informative. I can't say how much of what Bacon writes it's true but I recommend these 2 books to whomever feels like having a light read.
Anyway, I found that this is the source from where the story of Sophia Loren asking about Eastwood after FOD's release in Italy comes from. Actually, it was Bacon that she asked about that unknown actor. She told Bacon that FOD was a hit in Italy and he  conveyed the news to Eastwood who, as we know, hadn't a clue about what had happened to the movie. Bacon says that Eastwood was forever grateful to Sophia because that information allowed him to renegotiate "the contract and get a piece of the action" (whatever that may mean).
But the most interesting part is Eastwood talking about the movie. "The director and producer wanted me to wear tennis shoes instead of cowboy boots. It took me a week to talk them out of it."(uh?) ..."...the character killed everybody in sight. He was supposed to be the hero, but he was one of the rottenest villains alive. I never dreamed it would catch on". The last words carry the taste of truth in that they seem spoken by somebody who hasn't seen the movie yet.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:49:23 PM by titoli » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:51:52 AM »

interesting Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:40:13 AM »

Anyway, I found that this is the source from where the story of Sophia Loren asking about Eastwood after FOD's release in Italy comes from. Actually, it was Bacon that she asked about that unknown actor. She told Bacon that FOD was a hit in Italy and he  conveyed the news to Eastwood who, as we know, hadn't a clue about what had happened to the movie. Bacon says that Eastwood was forever grateful to Sophia because that information allowed him to renegotiate "the contract and get a piece of the action" (whatever that may mean).

Yes, very interesting  Afro

But the most interesting part is Eastwood talking about the movie. "The director and producer wanted me to wear tennis shoes instead of cowboy boots. It took me a week to talk them out of it."

Tennis shoes  Shocked Huh That can't be correct.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:12:50 AM »

I don't get the "tennis shoes" part. Shocked Huh

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:57 AM »

Can't be correct; such an obvious anachronism.  To do that, why bother with any other details?  Besides, in general, Leone wanted period-correct accessories.  Look how he studied photos of Civil War before GBU.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

Can't be correct; such an obvious anachronism. 

That makes the point all the more interesting.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »

Anyway, my two cents on the matter. Bacon, not a great expert of foreign languages (actually, not even of english language: he can't tell the difference between masochism and sadism) misunderstood what Eastwood told him using a spanish or italian term for a particular kind of shoes.  But a term sounding like "tennis" in those language doesn't currently come to mind.
Another hypothesis is that Eastwood started to magnify his role in the conception of the movie with this fabricated story.

But what is more important is what he says about the movie which, if we believe Bacon, is the only recorded statement of what Eastwood thought about the movie before he saw it. He hadn't a clue about what he had done, he thought the movie sucked, that the hero was all wrong. That should be kept in mind when discussing what he said afterwards, constantly magnifiyng, interview after interview, his role in the conception of his character which, reading these few lines, was (as every one of us should know) nil.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:48:19 PM by titoli » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »

Yea that is what it sounds like Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »

Agreed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM