Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:02:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Country (1958)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Country (1958)  (Read 8065 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »

I like Ives best another Western Day of the Outlaw and in TW's Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »

Frayling mentions a funny story Leone said:  Leone was an assistant on on Ben Hur. During the shoot of Ben Hur, Wyler decided he needed to reshoot  a scene of their previous movie together, The Big Country. They needed another shot of Heston. (I think for the fight scene). so Heston put on his costume from THE BIG COUNTRY and shot the scene  there on the set of Ben Hur

Knowing  that Leone often exaggerated (or fabricated?) stuff, Frayling is careful to note that he actually confirmed the story with Heston!

The story is mentioned on pp. 74-75 of STDWD (that's Frayling's book SERGIO LEONE: SOMETHING TO DO WITH DEATH. All you newbies better read it. It's the bible of the SLWB  Wink )

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »

Frayling mentions a funny story Leone said:  Leone was an assistant on on Ben Hur. During the shoot of Ben Hur, Wyler decided he needed to reshoot  a scene of their previous movie together, The Big Country. They needed another shot of Heston. (I think for the fight scene). so Heston put on his costume from THE BIG COUNTRY and shot the scene  there on the set of Ben Hur
I was ready to start laughing, but there seems to be a punchline missing. Again, why is this story "funny"?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »

I was ready to start laughing, but there seems to be a punchline missing. Again, why is this story "funny"?

Frayling writes it better than I do  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Spikeopath
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »

4. Musical Score.  In Epic moves, a score can get campy, but this one, from the opening, all the way thru, was fantastic.

I purchased the score for my own collection. Jerome Moross lifts heavily from it for The Valley of Gwangi (1969) -  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065163/reference

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21259

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »

Wow! Frayling commentary? I'm in! Day 1 purchase for me. (Actually,  I think that buying it immediately doesn't make sense, as the price often goes down right  after the official release. So maybe not Day 1, but Week 1 or Week 2  Wink )

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 05:25:07 AM »

Wow! Frayling commentary? I'm in! Day 1 purchase for me. (Actually,  I think that buying it immediately doesn't make sense, as the price often goes down right  after the official release. So maybe not Day 1, but Week 1 or Week 2  Wink )
How do you know you'll live that long? Some irate board member may take a shot at you. If the disc comes out and you can buy or steal it, do so. You wouldn't want to go to your grave knowing you'd left something important undone, would you?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »

You wouldn't want to go to your grave knowing you'd left something important undone, would you?

Like seeing Don Giovanni with the Budapest Festival Orchestra at the Rose Theater?  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM